Chapter 43

Nikki's POV

Damn, I lost my time with these drugs for sure. But I've been clear for yet another month and I can't wait to see Moira's face when she falls into my trap. I have never expected me being such a liar. In your face, Vince. You've always been mocking me you're the better one. Who's the better liar now? I lied to everyone else, including you, Vince. Well, only John and Tommy know what's going on actually. It's so funny to mess around. But I'm afraid that the feeling of guilt would ruin everything. I should think of a plan now. Oh, John's coming. Maybe he has some news.

"Nikki, if you have thought about Moira's trap, you should make the plan bigger. She went back to the police."
"WHAT?"
"She's detective Adams, again."
"Alright, thank you John. From now on we got to be more careful." More careful? I'm dead for sure. It's over, she's gonna find out. Or wait... hmm... maybe if I help her with her sister's case... And then... BINGO! I got this.
"Um, one more thing."
"What now?"
"Someone has told Moira that her sister had been in the bar the day she died." That has to be some destiny or shit.
"And why is that bad news?"
"I thought-"
"Leave the thinking for me. You only have to listen to me. Here's what..."

Moira's POV

I feel like I'm one step closer to Serafino. But that later. I'm at the bar I met Nikki the evening Stacey had died. Is this a coincidence that she had been here too? Nikki would have seen her... Or maybe he appeared after she got back home. But... wait... what's that stain from the storage? No, don't tell me she was been murdered here. I gotta see what's there...
"Barman..."
"Hey, you probably want the usual-"
"This time I'm here for something else."
"Oh, of course, Moira-"
"It's detective Adams."
"Detective? Um, I haven't done anything illegal..."
"As you should. Have you seen this lady before?"
"Months ago. Then she disappeared."
"She was been murdered."
"Oh God, this is terrible..."
"Had she been alone when here?"
"I think so. But when she got out someone talked with her. He was with a hat and sunglasses-"
"That's enough. May you let me check out the storage?"
"Why?"
"I hope I can find some clues."
"Oh, if you think that red stain is blood you're wrong. That's red wine. I broke a bottle last night." Why don't I believe you, barman? Maybe because you made me pay expensive than others? I knew you were tricking me. I was too drunk and numb to give a fuck.
"Well, if it's a red wine, may you let me take a sample of that stain? I need it for a laboratory test."
"I don't think it's gonna-" I got you.
"There's no need to worry about it. It's just a wine right, barman?" Just think about it, Moira. If that was a red wine, he would let you take a sample without hesitation.

Okay, he opened the door. No way in hell that's wine. This stain is too big to be from just a broken bottle of red wine. Okay, I took a sample. Ha, I don't see any small pieces of glass. When a bottle gets broken you can never clean it up entirely. Even an untrained eye would think there was no broken bottle here. Wait, what's that piece of paper? It's a letter... it's addressed to me? That handwriting seems familiar but... I can't remember whose hand would write like that. I'm gonna read it at home.
"Thank you, barman. Have a nice day."
"Till next time, detective." I knew there's gonna be a next time.

Now I'm at home. I had to come back. I can't be a burden for Vince anymore. And I think I'm better now. The detective title is keeping me from falling apart. Even Serafino stopped calling me after the conversation with Vince. But then that random man came to the station and said to me, that Stacey had been in the bar the night she died. He also told me I should had asked the barman for more information. I don't think it was Tommy. That has something to do with Serafino. Or more specifically, with his buddy. But now it's time for the letter...

Dear Moira,

Why did it take so long for an insanely intelligent and suspicious mind like yours to find the real crime scene? Or you're losing it? Maybe your mind is losing its freshness and force. Those three months were a nightmare for you but this isn't an excuse for your mind to get blocked like that. Have you ever wondered whether things are as they seem? Everyone knows about your trust issues but you believed everything I have ever said by now. But let's move on to the reason why I wrote this letter. I have a little surprise for you. Go back to the bar and tell the barman these words:
I've never been to Eden,
But it's nice I hear tell,
When I die I'll go to heaven,
Cause I've done my time in hell.
After that, you'll get a piece of paper with my address. But you must keep one thing in mind. No one should know what's going on. Our meet is supposed to be a secret between you and me. If my people (who are everywhere) find out that Vince knows about it, he's going to die (I'm not sure you can take yet another close person's death). Also, no guns, no police. You must come here alone. And don't worry about my buddy, he's keeping an eye on Tommy Lee, which means we're going to be the only people in the house.

Yours faithfully,
Carl Serafino

P.S.: The hatred I have learned for myself will fester in the wounds of your soul.

I need to take a deep breath for a minute. Maybe even a cold shower. Seriously, who the hell is this man? I need to go back to the bar. But not immediately, I don't think I'm ready to meet this guy. I'm scared. I'm really scared. Not for me, but for Vince. I can't tell him about this letter. But the words and the heaviness they impact on my psyche. I can't even breathe normally. THIS SON OF A BITCH IS PLAYING WITH PEOPLE'S MINDS AND LIVES. THAT'S ENOUGH. I'M GONNA KILL HIM WITH MY OWN TWO HANDS.