Hospital delivery

"Oooohhhh....oooohhhhh"

I groaned as my stomach tightened once again, sighing in relief as the contraction ended and the pressure lessened. 

"How long was that?"

"Two minutes."

I nodded, rubbing one hand on my belly. I'd been in labour for a little over thirteen hours now. To think just last night Chris and I had been eating takeout and watching Netflix when I'd had my first real contraction. I'd been feeling a few pains over the course of the day but had put those down to just being mine months pregnant. 

"Are you okay baby?"

I nodded to Chris as he laced his fingers through mine. I'd be annoyed with him asking me that question every two minutes if he didn't look so concerned every time he asked it. 

"Remember last night?"

Chris chuckled nodding. He was even more freaked out than I was, the look on his face when I clutched my stomach in pain was almost comical...and he still hasn't really fully regained colour in his face. Although he might just be tired, it had been a rough night. 

"May I come in?"

I sat up straighter.

"Yes!"

In entered Patricia, and just seeing her face made me feel more relaxed. She'd been a rock this whole pregnancy, always calm and patient. And I can't even imagine how annoying it must have been for her to have answered our dozen calls to her last night as my labour had progressed. But she'd given clear instructions and was even waiting for us at the hospital when we'd finally come in a couple hours ago. 

I watch Patricia as she looks over all the machines I'm hooked up to, nodding every once and a while before looking up at us and smiling.

"How are you doing honey?"

I try to return her smile, although it probably looks more like a grimace. 

"Okay. The contractions are getting stronger."

She nods, again perfectly calm.

"How far apart are they now?"

"The last couple have been two minutes."

Chris jumps in to answer her immediately. I see Patricia hold back a small smile as she continues her questions. 

"How long have they been lasting?"

"About thirty seconds."

"Alright honey, then I think I should check how far dilated you are. Is that alright?"

I nod, eager to know how close I am now. God I just want this labour to be over. I'd known I wanted a natural birth, but the contractions were starting to get really intense now as we neared the end, and I know I wasn't even at the most painful part. 

In the corner of the room Patricia puts on her latex gloves and squeezes some lotion onto her hands before approaching the foot of the bed. 

"Alright sweetie, I'm just going to need you to open your legs okay?"

I nod, but just as I move I feel a contraction roll through me again. Gasping I squeeze Chris' hand. 

"Aaaaaaahhhhhh."

I hear myself whine as the contraction builds. The pressure feeling a lot stronger than all the others before, and just at the height of the contraction I feel something burst within me. All of a sudden cool liquid flows down my legs. I moan as the contraction ends.

"That's okay, that's just your water breaking. Completely natural. There are some towels you can get if you do want to dry it off."

I nod, and finally open my legs for Patricia.