F O R T Y - S I X

Start from the beginning

The boys took some responsibility for the events of last night too. They apologised for getting distracted and not checking on us to make sure we were still behind them— meaning a new rule has been enforced, that when we're out— Leo and I have to stay in the middle along with Kaden and Killain. Of course the twins complained about this rule, stating they're not 'babies' but one glare from Zac had them agreeing.

"There's something else Grey and I want to talk to you all about." Zac stated as our discussion about rules came to an end— keeping his main focus on myself and Jack.

We all nodded at Zac waiting for him to continue, I caught the eyes of each of my brothers— all of them seeming just as confused as myself, minus Grey of course.

"I got a call from the NYPD." He started, causing me to tense as Jack and I locked eyes. "Callan, Carter, Alex, Ace, Kaden and Killian— Detective Jones wants to go over each of your statements again." Each of the boys seemed slightly confused by this, but nodded to Zac's words. "Leo, you didn't give a statement so he wants to talk to you as soon as possible." Leo didn't say anything in response, instead he focused his gaze on the dinning room window— staring out into the large garden. Zac sighed before turning to Grey, each of them glanced at Leo before turning back to each other— almost as though they were communicating with their eyes.

"Jack, Lily." Zac's tone was hesitant, instantly making me nervous as I brought my azure gaze to his. "He'll need a statement from both of you. I'm sorry I didn't tell you both sooner, I didn't want you guys to stress but... we've to go down to the station this afternoon."

All colour drained from my face, my breath caught in my throat at Zac's words. I can't talk about the events that occurred in that house, not again. I thought telling my brothers would be the end of it, I don't want to relive those horrors once again. The phantom hands appeared around my nape, suffocating me slowly as my thoughts became overwhelming.

I can't breathe.

How many times will I have to speak of my past, I want to move on. I finally have somewhere I feel safe, I have people who love me and who I love in return. I don't want to talk to a stranger about the horrific things Jack and I lived through. I can't.

"Lil— bambina. You're okay, I'm here. You won't have to face any of this alone, I'll be with you every step of the way— we all will." Zac spoke, his large hands gently gripping my own. "Breathe for me amore. Remember what Dr Owens said, follow his technique, use your five senses."

Zac pulled me from my near panic attack, talking me through the doctors technique as I slowly willed myself to calm down. My breathing slowly becoming more steady as my oldest brother pulled my into his arms.

"You're okay sweetheart, I've got you."

I hugged Zac tightly as I blinked back the tears, my gaze caught Jack's as he slowly pulled back from Grey's embrace. The rest of our brothers watching us, their azure gaze filled with sympathy.

"I don't w-want to talk to the d-detective."

"I know tesoro, I'm so sorry." Zac soothing voice filled my ears as he gently stroked my curls. "The detective needs to speak to you so those monsters get put in jail where they belong. I'll be in the room with you Lil, you won't be alone nor will Jack— I promise."

"O-okay." I whispered as the tears fell down my pale cheeks.
______________________________

After breakfast I went back to Leo's room— realising I was still in yesterday's clothes, I grimaced whilst making my way towards the bathroom. After taking a shower and changing into some comfortable clothes I made my way to the bed.

I needed some time to process everything, to prepare myself for what's to come this afternoon.

My mind consumed me as the events of my short life replayed over and over again.

I told myself to be strong, that I'm a survivor, that I could do this, that I could be brave. But my pep talk feel upon deaf ears— their words entered my mind; weak, pathetic, useless. The haunting words wrecked any confidence I had, if I even had any to begin with.

The door slowly creaked open, Jack's mop of blonde hair coming into view as he made his way over to Leo's bed, sitting himself down beside me before pulling me into his embrace. We didn't speak, we just sat there in each others arms— finding some sort of solace in the silence. 

An hour passed by as Jack finally spoke, his voice strained as he focused his gaze on the art covered walls of Leo's bedroom.

"M'scared."

"Me too."

We didn't say anything else, we both knew no words could ease our internal battles.

I wish they could.

A knock at the door pulled us from our trance, Callan's sympathetic azure gaze locked to ours.

"It's time to go." He murmured softly, causing Jack and I to slowly rise to our feet.

Callan didn't move from the door frame, even as our bodies made way to exit the room. Instead he pulled Jack and I into his comforting embrace.

"I hope you both know how proud we all are. Remember you're fighters, you're strong and you're brave." He whispered, his arms becoming tighter but not uncomfortable.
"I love you, both of you."

"I love you too."
Jack and I whispered at the same time.

We can do this... I hope.
________________________________
End of chapter forty six
Let me know what you think.

How will Jack and Lily get on?

Are Jack and Leo still your favourite brothers?

Don't forget to vote 🤍
Next chapter will hopefully be tomorrow or Wednesday