Chapter 35 - Hougyoku

Start from the beginning

“That’s interesting, Sana. Then I would like to show you a very old move that I learnt more than 200 years ago.” My eyes went slightly wide at what he said. More than 200 years ago? He was 200 years old?! Really??! But he didn’t look even half that age….actually I don’t even want to imagine him with white hair and all old and wrinkly. I sweatdropped at my own thoughts but I shook my head. Anyway, I was getting a chance to learn an authentic sword fighting move from someone who learnt it from some probably extreme sword fighting perfectionists! This was a chance I wouldn’t miss!

“Really? You’ll teach me?” I asked, my eyes shining in excitement. He chuckled and nodded. “Yes. And I will show you the power of my Zanpakuto as well.” “Yatta!!” I jumped and cheered and he led me into the room from the balcony. He stopped a few feet in front of me and I watched eagerly as he unsheathed his sword.

He still wasn’t wearing his shirt, but I didn’t let that bother my excitement to see his Zanpakuto. “Shatter: Kyouka Suigetsu.” He said holding his sword out and my eyes went wide at what I saw. The whole scenery around me changed and I was surrounded by a beautiful meadow with flowers of all colors, a huge lake and blue skies. “Wow! Its beautiful!!” I walked around and tried to touch a flower, but my finger came in contact with something hard and immediately, I could see my reflection in a huge mirror.

“What….what specific ability does it have?” I stepped back, a little startled at what happened. I couldn’t see Sousuke anymore and even though I was sure I was in Las Noches, I couldn’t see anything besides this beautiful landscape. I heard Sousuke’s chuckles though the air. “Kyouka Suigetsu has the ability of complete hypnotism. It controls all five senses, creating a single figure, form, touch and smell. It can deceive the enemy with all of those. For example, I could make a mere fly look like a dragon, a swamp look like a field of flowers…..easily manipulating the enemy into thinking anything otherwise than what is actually there.”

“So its like an illusion technique.” I stated and I heard his chuckles again. “Not completely. A mere illusion cannot be felt….it is merely seen. My Zanpakuto can make anyone mistake what they see for something else, for example; seeing your ally in the place of your enemy and vice versa. All the enemy has to see to fall under my Zanpakuto is Kyouka Suigetsu’s release. Anyone who has seen it once falls under the complete hypnotism from that instant on. Until I release Kyouka Suigetsu, they are trapped completely within the hypnotism.”

“Seeing it once?” I asked frowning slightly. If my understanding was correct, it meant that since I had seen the release of his Zanpakuto as well, I could easily be manipulated by him anytime.

“It seems that you understand my explanation rather well. I can make out from the look on your face. Even if you realize you’re under it, it is impossible to escape. But don’t worry, I have no reason to use it on you, Sana.” I frowned more realizing that what I had thought was right. It was the kind of ability that Sousuke could control without us even doubting it. What I saw, felt….nothing was real….yet it felt real. In fact, what made me even more nervous was that I couldn’t sense Sousuke. He was probably right next to me and yet I couldn’t sense his reiatsu at all.

I was starting to get a bit too nervous her because I felt lost. This place seemed to extend forever and I clenched my fists uncomfortably, darting my eyes around wanting to find the exit. “You seem tense, Sana.” I stiffened and my heart skipped a beat when I heard his voice right next to my ear. I turned around quickly and relaxed, seeing him standing here with me. I sighed with a smile and stepped closer to him. “Its kinda uncomfortable when I cant see anyone besides myself in a place like this.” I confessed and he chuckled.

“Shatter: Kyouka Suigetsu.” He said again and everything around is literally shattered into pieces. His sword returned to his hands and despite telling myself that everything was fine now, a new uncertainty seemed to have made its mark in my heart. If Sousuke could control people like this….was there even any meaning in fighting against him? Everyone would just lose….and knowing that I too could be easily controlled because I had seen his Zanpakuto’s release made me start doubting him now.