02 ; 𝘢𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘥𝘢𝘺, 𝘢𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘥𝘳𝘢𝘮𝘢

Start from the beginning

"Talk" Hanna demanded; Emily and Aria looking at Hastings with expectation.

"I can't" she denied, shaking her head.

"Spence!" Montgomery whispered-shouted "You are not gonna drop a bomb like that and just clamp up!"

"She'd so kill me if I told you!" the brunette kept denying.

"She's dead!" Hanna fought back, with an obvious look. The table fell in silence at the blonde's words.

"She was seeing someone that summer" she finally said.

"I knew it! I knew she was keeping someone from me!" Emily half shouted with wide eyes "From us" she quickly rectified seeing the looks of her friends.

"Why didn't she want us to know?" Aria inquired.

"He was an older boy" this time it was Lizzie who spoke; she figured that that piece of information wouldn't reveal too much "And he had a girlfriend"

"Who was he?" the raven haired girl sitting next to Hastings asked to both of the girls.

"She never told me a name" Spencer admitted, and the girls looked at the blonde girl.

"I don't know either" Or maybe she did, maybe Ali did mention his name once, but she couldn't remember.

"Well, that's only half a secret" Hanna sighed, taking a sip from her drink.

"It's more than you ever got from her" Spencer shrugged.

"How is that Ali told us nothing, and we told her everything?" Aria Montgomery wondered.

"Because that was Ali" Elizabeth replied, thinking of her friend and the many secrets they'd shared "She made you feel safe, and like we were part of something special"

"We were" Emily firmly said, remembering with nostalgia what they once had. However, Elizabeth didn't agree. They were friends because of Ali. They were something special to Ali.

"I miss that" Hanna commented, sadness on her eyes as she looked at the girls "I miss us"

"When Ali didn't come home that night, I knew something terrible must have happened, but there was always some part of me that imagined someday she'd just show up" Spencer said with a melancholic smile.

"Yeah, I used to think that maybe she'd just run off with some frat guy" Elizabeth agreed, remembering all the frat parties the two of them used to go and all the guys they've met whose name she never learnt.

"Or that maybe she was just laying on a beach somewhere" Emily continued, they all could imagine Ali just relaxing somewhere while the whole town was looking for her.

"Or getting a tan out by the pool with that hot lifeguard" Hanna added, laughing and remembering one of the times they all went to the pool together and Ali desperately tried ti get the lifeguard's attention "Save me!"

The girls laughed at Hanna's accurate impression of Alison that day. Their laughs were cut off by the sound of a cane tapping. With horror looks on their faces, the girls left some money in the table to pay for their drinks and left as soon as they saw Jenna Marshall came in. This time, alone.

The group of girls said their goodbyes, each one going their own way. Lizzie was walking by herself, lost in her thoughts, trying to digest everything that had happened today, when she saw a familiar black car pulling over.

She felt a knot in her stomach, but she quickly shook her head and put on her most determined facade as she approached the car.

"Anything I can do for you, Officer?" the girl leaned into the car wearing a wry smile; she knew exactly why Clay was there, it was only a matter of time before he came looking for her.