0:16

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ
ʙᴏᴏᴋꜱ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴘʀᴇɢɴᴀɴᴄʏ
﹊﹊﹊﹊﹊﹊

After her run, Dahlia decided to go to the clinic where her parents worked. It was odd to be there and see only emptiness. She went to an office and looked through the books on the bookshelf.

She was looking for specific books. Books that could help her in a few months. Mostly books that go over the topics of pregnancy and delivery. The books aren't for her; she wasn't the one pregnant, but someone has to prepare when Becca gives birth.

Becca hasn't told her that she's pregnant, but they live in the same house. She heard her puke at night when she was going to the kitchen, and her little bump is starting to show even though she tries to hide it. She wanted to be ready; she wanted to help Becca.

She didn't want her to feel scared and alone. Having a child on its own is scary enough, but having one where there's no doctors, nurses, or anyone with experience can be more than terrifying.

She got a few books from the shelf and walked around looking for a sonogram machine. She also needed to learn how to use that another thing to add to her list. Once she got all the books she needed and went home.

It's been a week and a half since Dewey's death things have changed around the town; the rules are more firm, and people are starting to take them seriously.

Harry and Dahlia have gotten a bit closer the last week while eating in the cafeteria; they sit together. When they are both free, he would spend most of his time at Dahlia's place since he still hates the people that are staying in his house.

Debby doesn't fully trust him just yet, but Dahlia knows she will eventually.

After Dewey's trial, Harry tried to apologize to Allie, but she kicked him out; she wasn't ready for his apology, and Dahlia couldn't blame her. Harry just needed to understand that and give Allie some space.

Dahlia arrived at her front door and struggled to open the door as she was holding a thick stack of books.

She carefully made it to her room, she almost dropped one book while she was going up the stairs, but she was able to balance it. Setting the books down on her desk, she left her room and knocked on the room that Beccas was sleeping in, which was Debby's room. She heard some movement shortly followed by a "come in."

Dahlia entered the room where Sam and Becca were both on the bed. Becca was wearing a big long sleeve with a jacket, and her hands were in front of her, covering her stomach. Yeah, she's definitely pregnant, Dahlia thought. "Hi, I wanted to talk to you guys about something," she said, looking between Sam and Becca.

Sam was looking at Becca as she translated for him in ASL. Dahlia knew some ASL, but this was important, she didn't want to explain it and say something else. "About what," Becca said and signed to Sam.

Dahlia got the chair from the vanity facing both of them, "I want to talk about the baby," she said, sitting down. Becca's facial expression was emotionless, "I know you're pregnant," Dahlia added. "I heard you throw up the other night, and you have a little bump," she said with a small smile.

Becca sighed and took off her jacket, and there it was, the smallest baby bump Dahlia had ever seen. "I've been doing some research for the baby. You know when you deliver the baby. When are you due; do you know," Dahlia asked.

"Around December," Becca said quietly.

"Good, I still have time to read and study as much as I can before you have your baby."

"Dahlia reading a book is not going to be enough to help me deliver this baby," Becca said. "I know that there's equipment in the clinic that is going to help during the delivery and a sonogram machine where you can see your baby. In my sophomore year, I wanted to be a sonographer, so I took a course that year. I didn't get my certification in the training program, but I have the general idea."

"The general idea," Becca questioned. That didn't sound reassuring; she was tired and terrified of having a child; she didn't want to leave it in the hands of a general idea.

"Yeah, I know what I'm looking for, and the machine here is not that different. Also, I pay attention during my health class. I know what's going to happen, but don't worry, I'll continue studying," she said with a smile.

She felt thrilled having something to study and do research about. It reminded her of home, and that made her feel a bit normal like things weren't upside down.

"I know that maybe this wasn't how you had imagined having your first baby, but I want you to know that you are not alone."

Sam started to sign and smiled at her "well, you always passed all your exams," Becca explained what Sam was saying. Dahlia smiled it was true back in high school she got almost all perfect As.

Becca looked at Sam who smiled at her, and she then looked back at Dahlia "guess I don't have another option. Thank you, Dahlia, you don't have to."

"But I want to. I won't waste any more time. I'll go and read the books," she said, getting up from her chair.

"Please don't tell anyone," Becca said.

"Of course, I won't don't worry," she smiled at her, reassuring her. "Thank you," Sam said.

"No problem, and congratulations."

She left the room, leaving Sam and Becca with a new conversation to talk about.

Dahlia locked herself in her room several books were opened all around her bed. She had highlighted several paragraphs and added sticky notes to important chapters and sections. She also liked to write down notes to learn better.

She still had around six more months, but she didn't want to leave it to the last minute.

﹊﹊﹊﹊﹊﹊

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞

𝙽𝚎𝚠 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚘𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚊 𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚔.