four ─ drowning

Start from the beginning

Dusk peaked as the Degrace girl sat on her porch with only the porch light illuminating above her. Shadows overtook the neighborhood as Neviah battled her thoughts. Mal ditched her. Malikai Alexander ditched Neviah. Fifteen minutes before he was supposed to pick her up, he texted her saying he wasn't going to the party anymore. After spamming him with questions to explain, he gave a vague answer of: "Something came up." Thirteen miss calls and about two hundred text messages later, not a single word was communicated back.

Neviah exhaled, watching the air become visible then disappear. She sat in the cold with a zip-up jacket being her own shield from the weather. Her legs were left undefended due to her dark blue dress being mid-thigh length. Lydia texted her saying Jackson and her were only a few minutes away - that was ten minutes ago. Seems like everyone is unable to tell time.

It only added to Neviah's souring mood. She didn't even want to go to the stupid party. She would have much preferred to stay home and do work, or do someone if anyone was available. Though, her emotions didn't quite reflect physically. She curled the thin jacket closer, finding a growing lump in her throat. She let out a shaky exhale and closed her eyes.

Neviah was mad, it boiled her core, keeping her insides warm against the cold. Yet, as the feeling radiated outward it shifted into something she could only label as sadness. It all could be sourced back to disappointment - an emotion she knew all too well. She opened her eyes, inhaled and forced everything back.

Tracing the source distracted her mind from furthering into a dwindling rut. When you find the cause of your issues, it is easier to deal with it. You could understand it better and best it, taking control and snuffing it out.

Disappointing festered into anger, which with a mix of letting her thoughts conjure their own ideas led to sadness. She knew one way to snuff it out. She just needed to wait and those emotions would fade with the help of liquor. They would drown and never surface again.

Two bright lights illuminate the street. A Porsche pulled up as the passenger side window rolled down. "Let's go, Nav!" Lydia said with annoyance dripping from her voice. And here was the reason she was going to the party.

Lydia begged her a few days earlier to go, saying it would be fun. She mostly convinced Neviah to go so she would have a reason whenever she wanted to get away from Jackson.

Just a few minutes, she told herself with another inhale. She stood up, flattening her dress. "Don't be a bitch, Lyds."

Lydia stepped out, refusing to make eye contact but Neviah knew it would be a hard glare. Neviah lived twenty minutes away from her and the party was ten minutes away from her house. She was pissed she had her extra thirty minutes taken from her that she could've used to get ready, despite having the perfect outfit. She didn't say anything.

Muttering a greeting to Jackson as she crawled into the backseat, Neviah noticed the already tensed air. Her sudden call wasn't the cause. Whatever that was going on between Lydia and Jackson was starting to annoy her. They made rooms tense and awkward, constantly walking on glass shards.

Neviah observed their changes. Lydia spared more frequent glances at other guys and that would spark flames in Jackson, yet the impulsive jock never acted. She stopped pushing to find out the truth, mostly because she didn't care that much about their relationship. It occurred over a party during the summer, she didn't think it would ever last long.