Haikyuu!! Tobio's Girl. Chapter 16

Kageyama turned over the test sheet that teacher returned to him. He looked at the score...

51! Safe...

He sensed an anxious gaze on him. He looked at Reina and showed her thumbs up. She smiled with relief.

Tobio stretched his arms and relaxed in his chair. This was the last test. Somehow he managed to pass them all this time. So there are no make-up classes this semester. With a smile on his face, he started to think about where he should devote his time now. Serving is something one can always improve on. He hadn't yet reached the same power that Oikawa-san achieved. Also, more intense team training should begin now. He needed to figure out his current hitters. With Tanaka-san and Hinata, he knew what to do. But if Tsukishima actually tried, maybe he could do that broad hit he faked the other time. And he must get better in sync with Ennoshita-san as well.

When the lunch break started, he automatically took his lunch and chair and went to Reina's desk. He sat down to eat without breaking his train of thought.

"Tobio! Congrats on passing the exams!" Reina said while clapping her hands with glee.

"Oh, thanks. I'm glad it is all over," he said and went back to his thoughts.

"So... I was thinking..." Reina said while nervously twirling her fingers," We have more time now, and it's not like you have any tournaments soon... Maybe this Saturday we could meet and--"

"But why?!" Kageyama interrupted her with a scared expression on his face. "There is no more studying, right?"

For the last month or so, they did only that. Studying. And it was not just with Reina. Her friends tagged along. Other first-years from the team tagged along. Some random people, whose names he wasn't sure, tagged along. It became a weirdly popular study group. Some people actually had fun studying together, but he couldn't wait for it all to end.

"Right... We don't need to study... why meet then," Reina said in a barely audible voice.

"I so sick of studying. Now I just want to play volleyball, and then play some more. The team is rebuilding, and it needs a lot of work. And you know I was invited to another All-Japan training camp over spring break. I can't wait to go there. I need to train for that as well," he said excitedly.

"So you need to train before going to a training camp... What was I even hoping for?" Reina sighed.

"Hmm?"

"Oh, nothing" She didn't say anything more and just ate her food quietly.

Tobio happily threw himself into full-on training mode for the next few days. He played volleyball all weekend long, then every school day, he would stay in the gym till the evening. Things went back to normal. All was well in the world.

But... was it?

He had that annoying feeling, that something was amiss, but couldn't pinpoint what. He was now sitting at his desk after morning practice, skipping his usual nap and trying to figure it out.

VB club was going great. Everything was fine at home, the same as usual. What else? Out of habit, he looked towards Reina's seat, now yet empty.

Was it... about her?

He tried hard to remember something about Reina from the last few days but couldn't. He was quite sure she was there. But not much else. Well... yesterday, she wasn't. She said she had something to do at lunch break... or was it on Monday? It was Wednesday today... So they were definitely eating lunch together yesterday. He remembered talking a lot, explaining their new team strategy. But what about her? He couldn't remember if she commented on it. It was about volleyball, so he would remember. Did that mean she didn't say anything at all? That's unusual. What was going on?