He Is Not That Awesome

Start from the beginning

"Urgh. I am smart. Articulate. It's just..." Genevieve face-palmed again and groaned. Then the wheel of her cart chose that moment to get stuck. She gave it a hard shove and ended up jostling some of its content to the floor.

"It's not that deep, Viv," she muttered. "Just another bad day." Bending to retrieve one of the fallen items, she heard her name.

Genevieve shut her eyes. That voice... she recognised it. But why though? Why now? No way the universe was that cruel.

Pretending not to hear her name, Genevieve straightened and resumed pushing her cart.

"You dropped this." His voice was much closer now. Too close.

Finally stopping, Genevieve turned with a bright fake smile on.

Yep, it was truly her boss. Raymond Dominic in the blinding beautiful flesh. He was holding up a small stuffed bunny, with that signature flat expression on his face. It was weird to see him in something other than a three- piece suites. But even in a plain black tee and jeans, he still managed to awaken massive butterflies in her belly.

Close cropped hair. Perfect fade. Smooth brown skin. Downturned eyes. Tight bod. It was really unfair. The corners of Genevieve's lips turned down. Nothing appeared forced about his good looks.

When he waved the stuffed toy once more, Genevieve snapped out of it. "Um... thank you?"

Dropping his gaze to the contents of her cart, a confused frown touched his brow. Genevieve had to bite her tongue to stop herself from explaining why she had several baby products and toys.

He drew nearer, that blank expression sliding back in place. Gosh, he smelled great. Wait, why was he coming closer?

"I'll drop this here." He placed the bunny in her cart and stepped back. "How many months is the baby?"

He was talking to her. Why was he still talking to her?

"B-baby?"

What's with all the stammering, woman? Jeez.

Gripping the handle of his own cart, his bicep flexed as he nodded at the baby products. "I'm assuming these are for your baby."

Genevieve blinked,  a bubble of laughter escaping before she could stop it. "I don't have a baby. These are for my friend."

Wow, Genevieve. Two normal complete sentences. Big ups.

Suddenly wanting to flee before awkwardness set in, Genevieve turned to leave but his words stopped her.

"You should take a public speaking course."

Genevieve frowned, turning to face him. "I-I don't understand."

He shrugged broad shoulders, a mild look of sympathy in his brown eyes. "Being articulate is a necessary skill for all department heads. I noticed this isn't your strong suit judging from the meeting today." He offered her a small tight smile that went nowhere near his eyes. "Now that the company is in new hands, I prefer that every department head show perfect communication skill among others. I trust you wouldn’t disappoint, Miss Johnson."

Genevieve stared after him slack-jawed as he pushed his cart past and turned a corner.

Wow–oh wow. And to think she had a crush on–Genevieve pressed her lips shut. It's true what they say; when you come closer, you see warts.

"Public speaking course, my ass." Genevieve huffed. "Does he know where I–"

"Did something happen?"

Genevieve blinked and turned to face Maria. She hadn't even noticed when she returned.

"I..." Genevieve shook her head. No, this embarrassment lived and died with her; she would tell no one. "I just can't stop thinking about today's disaster presentation."

"Ah," Maria chortled. "Don't dwell on it, or you can..." she turned and wiggled her brow suggestively "if it involves dwelling on a certain male specimen who turns your brain to mush."

Genevieve laughed as the burn of her earlier embarrassment began to dissipate. "Nah, no more fantasising for me. I think I'm over my crush."

"Nonsense!" Maria waved a hand. "You know... I think you guys are the perfect match. Y'all are techies. You've got mummy issues; he's got daddy issues. You've got–."

"You think I would be perfect for every guy I have a crush on." Genevieve rolled her eyes. Since her teens, developing crushes was like a weekly routine. It was easy to start and easier to get over. Though her crush on the boss had lasted for two weeks, she was certain the feeling would fade like the rest. "You just feel sorry for me because I am single."

Maria suddenly paused, her eyes round and earnest. "I am kinda serious, Viv. I have a feeling about you two."

"Nah, no more talks about the boss. My crush is dead," Genevieve said and meant every word.  

_____________________________________________________________________________

So... how's me first chapter?