10.Let's Break Up

"Takagi-san, let's break up."

......

Takagi woke up in a cold sweat, never feeling this terrified before.

She frantically searched for an evident of reality, and calmed down slightly once she was sure it was just a dream.

She felt her cheeks and found two lines of tear streams.

It was still pouring.

"Why...?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun shone vividly in the sky as a sign of pleasant weather, and the birds' chirping seemed to be celebrating it. The gentle breeze brought the delightful scent of the flowers, adding nothing more than a sense of leisure. The ever-so-lively street welcomed the pedestrian with its gorgeously green trees and friendly cats. Anyone's mood would've got lifted up even just a little bit by this joyous atmosphere; anyone except Takagi.

The usual smile on her face was replaced with a frown, and her footpace was sped up also. Her heart was filled with dread, and it showed.

The cheerful bright of the sun was nothing more than irritating to her.

'Why did I dream that...' She thought to herself. 'Anyways... I can't have Nishikata seeing me like this, or else he is gonna get really worried.'

"Takagi-san!"

Speak of the devil.

Nishikata's voice suddenly came from the back. Takagi slightly jolted and turned around to see the boy running her way.

"Good morning, Nishikata." She adjusted her mood and greeted.

"Good morning..." He slightly frowned. "Are you alright? Your eyes are kinda red."

"Ah... I must've stayed up too late last night." Takagi quickly came up with a cover-up.

"Please sleep a bit earlier..." Nishikata seemed concerned.

"It's just a one-off thing." She squeezed out a smile in reply. 

"..."

"Nishikata?"

"You seem odd today..." He said. "Like last time when you had a fight with your mom."

'Why do you have to become so observant all of a sudden!' Takagi cried out in her mind.

"Let's have a contest." She suggested as she kept her head away from him. "Whoever gets to the school first wins. Three two one start!"

Then she sprinted off, leaving Nishikata behind with her name barely leaving his mouth.

'This might make him even more suspicion of me but I have to do it!' She thought as she wiped a drop of tear off her cheek. 'I will figure out an excuse later.'

The day went on, and thank goodness Nishikata hadn't ask further question. Yet, anyone could see that something was wrong between the two.

......

"Sumire-chan, come with me for a bit." Takagi decided to call for her best friend for help.

"Takagi-chan! I was gonna give you this alcohol chocolate I bought during our family's trip..." She looked up and as soon as she noticed her expression, her face dropped. "What happened?"

Takagi pulled her to a stairwell, where she explained her dream to her, all the while trying not to break into tear.

Sumire's eyes were wide open. "Nishikata-kun wouldn't do that, and you know that better than anyone else!"