Chapter 37

Jacob knocked on Langston's office door. No response. "Langston." Jacob said as he knocked again. Still no response. He turned the knob and entered to see Langston's head down on the desk.

"HIGGINS." Jacob yelled this time as he stood in front of the desk.

Langston woke up abruptly, startled and dazed. He looked to see Jacob staring down at him. "What the hell Latimore?"

Jacob noticed Langston looked bad; he was growin a beard, and there were dark circles under his eyes as if he hadn't slept at all. "You look like shit. Long night?"

"Did you come over here just to insult me?" Langston replied through a yawn.

"I need the surveillance footage from last night."

"I don't record." Langston said reaching for the coffee in Jacob's hand. Jacob gave it to him and Langston took a sip.

"You don't record?" Jacob asked with a stunned look on his face and confusion in his voice.

"It would be a waste of tape seeing as nothing ever happens around here. It's unfortunate now that we're in this situation. Any idea of what happened to the girl?"

"We're sure she had a miscarriage and died from blood loss but we just wanted to review the tapes to be sure. She had slight vaginal bruising but that could have happened earlier in the week or as a result of the miscarriage."

Langston breathed a silent sigh of relief. "Why was she out of her cell in the first place?"

"She gets maternity privileges but I'm positive she was supposed to be supervised while on them. Anyway, another reason I came over here is to borrow your keys. I left home in a hurry after I heard the news and forgot mine."

"Sure." Langston said. "They're in my room on my bed."

As Jacob entered Langston's adjoined bedroom he noticed that it was very clean with a fresh scent but something caught his attention. "Hey L, what happened to your bathroom door?" Jacob asked noticing the door hanging off the hinges.

Shit Langston thought to himself. The door he kicked in to get Coco. Thinking quickly he said, "I locked myself out. I almost sprained my foot trying to kick it down."

"These are some heavy duty doors." Jacob said nodding. "Well, I'll leave you to sleep. I have to go over here and get the girls."

"Latimore, wait." Langston called before Jacob exited the office.

"Hm?" Jacob said as he turned around.

"I'm going to be taking a little time off. Maybe a month or two." Langston gave John a stern and serious look. "I'm leaving you in charge until I get back."