•*CHAPTER TWO: in your shadow*•

•*Rachel aka Leo*•
THE CENTRE

I skid down the halls in hurry but once I saw my father I quickly changed into a usual pace. I combed my fingers through my hair and assorted my dress in order to look more presentable.

"Father" I said from trailing behind him, he was walking in a rush too which exhausted the two men either side of him

He didn't look at me when he responded, "yes, dear?" He kept on walking down the palace halls in search of something.

"It's my birthday so I was wondering if~" I began but he cut me off

"Indeed it it!" He turned to me beaming, "and tonight all four realms shall gather for a party and celebrate you coming of age!"

"Coming of age for what?" I asked because it's not like I'm getting the throne even though I want it.

If I was Queen I'd make real changes, I'll do better for the people and for the realms, presides, it's not like Finn even wants it so it should just go to me.

But it won't. And it's not because I'm a girl or because I'm the youngest, it's because I'm ordinary.

I know my father is ashamed of me, everyone is but it's not like I can help it. I'd love to have power, I really would but I just.. don't.

"Suitors from each realm will want your hand, dear! Isn't it wonderful?" He started walking again.

I stopped for a moment to process what he had just said, my mouth went dry and my eyes wouldn't stop blinking.

"No, no! It isn't wonderful at all!" I caught up with him once more

He sighed, "listen, dear, we can discuss this later because I am very busy right now" he stopped and turned to me, I thought he'd say something comforting but he didn't, instead he asked, "have you seen your brother?"

I sighed in disappointment, "he's in his private lesson with The Old One.. would you like me to fetch him for you?"

He stroked my cheek briefly and smiled, "thank you dear, you've always been a good daughter, Rachel"

Yep. That's me. The obedient little princess.

I walked away less energetic as before, down the corridor and up another flight of stairs until I heard the voices from the other side of a door.

"Feel your power around you, Finnick, do you feel it?"

"No"

The reply was blunt, I couldn't help but giggle

"Well try harder"

"That's what I'm doing!"

The room went to silence except the heavy, annoyed breathing coming from my brother. I took the opportunity to slide the door open and enter the room.

It was a small, breezy room that I rarely went in. On the floor was my brother with his dirty blonde hair and his big, blue eyes that were momentarily closed and in front of him was The Old One.

The Old One got his name for a reason: he was very old (which could be seen from the long wrinkles and even longer white beard) and he was very wise.

Both of them sat with their legs crossed, eyes closed, with their own hands together. In the centre of them was a pot with three wooden sticks pointing out. It was smoking and smelt of mint and herbs.

"What are you doing?" I asked

Finn cracked an eye open, "oh hey Rachel"

The Old One opened his eyes and scowled, smacking my brother lightly on the side of his head, "focus, child!"

"Ow" whined Finn, rubbing his head making me laugh

The Old One looked up at me and in a softer tone he added, "we're practicing the ancient art of meditation" he then put his attention on watching my brother, "Finnick is a little distracted so we aren't making much progress"

Finn groaned, dropping his pose, "I am not distracted! I just think this is a little ridiculous that's all"

"A focused and relaxed mind isn't 'ridiculous', power is only as strong as the mind that controls it"

"I honestly have no idea what that means"

"You will one day"

"I still don't understand"

Nor did I but that didn't matter to me right now, "father requests your presence, Finn"

"Tell him I'm busy" Finn protested and pretended he was meditating again

I can't deal with this right now, I'm not my brother's keeper, "you and I know it's not best to refuse father"

"Alright I'm coming" he got up from the floor and followed my suit, "see you next weekend, sir" The Old One nodded and we left.

"Oh happy birthday, sis" he said and I thanked him

Happy birthday me. Another year of being undermined, underappreciated and undervalued. Yay.

I'm turning fifteen today, I'm still a child but I believe once you hit fifteen you start be taken a little more seriously or you would if you weren't me.

I don't mean to start my own pity party but it is my birthday so I think I get a pass for today.

My party is tonight- I think I should start getting ready soon, I try to go off to my room but Finn stops me.

"Wait, I got you a gift" he started rooting in his back pockets as I rose an eyebrow at him

He pulled out a beautiful bracelet: it was silver because he knows how much I prefer it to Gold, despite that being the thing our family wears the most. It had four different coloured jewels on it- red, blue, white and green, he caught me looking at them.

"One for each element" he pulled me into a side hug, "I don't care what anyone says, I'm proud of you and I know that~"

I laughed, "I swear if you say father will be proud I will punch you"

"I wasn't gonna say father, I was gonna say Isaac would be proud of you"

The mention of my oldest brothers name was to much, I gave a sad sob. Isaac's death took a toll on the whole family, he was only twenty and he would of been the greatest king the realms would ever see, unfortunately they couldn't.

"I miss him so much"

"So do I"

****************************

I wrote this for the past three hours. Umm I don't know.. send help?

I will be doing Asher's aka Aries's POV next

Hope you liked

Charlotte