Chapter 2

Waking up from his latest nightmare, Daniel began muttering to himself his personal information again. He had just woken up from seeing serial killers rip off his arms, then his legs, then finally his head. Once he was done calming himself he put his head down and thought about his past, the least corrupted thoughts he had were there. His dream of him and his spider-like mother was not completely fake. He was a reject, he had no friends, none at all...well he had one. Jane, the only person on the planet that liked him. He met Jane when he was nine and he never told her, but he loved her. The friendship didn't last long, Jane had died in a fire a year after he had met her. Daniel had just been walking over to her house to tell her how he felt when he heard the blare of sirens fill his ears. He saw fire trucks and ambulances heading toward his destination, he began to sprint. The fire had engulfed the entire house, he saw all the men standing outside just watching it burn, just talking to each other, it didn't look like they were helping her. He loved this girl so as most boys in love do, he did something stupid. Daniel ran as fast as he could into the burning building. He ran in and immediately smoke began to fill his lungs. He didn't know where Jane would be, all he knew is that he had to save her. He began to hear men yell at him to get out, but he knew he couldn't. He jumped over a burning wooden pole blocking his way into the kitchen. He could find nothing but more fire. He jumped over the pole again and rushed into her parent's room. He didn't find anything in there either except for a smell...a smell of burning flesh. He found two burned corpses that must have been her parents, he threw up a little in his mouth, but he knew he had to keep it in to stay hydrated. He ran out of the room and decided to check the room he should have started in, her bedroom. He rushed in looking for her, which was no problem for him since she was a human torch. He couldn't move, he couldn't speak, his eyes burned but still managed to tear up. The screams, the agony, and the ability to do nothing and watch the love of your life burn. He wanted to save her, but he didn't know how, he didn't know how. She finally fell on the floor a few seconds later and died. "No," Daniel muttered, "no no no no please, why did yo...no just why does fate hate me so much!" Daniel didn't care anymore, he sat down and decided he wanted to burn with her. He gave her one last embrace and closed his eyes waiting for his doom...then yelling filled the air. It wasn't any yelling of pain, but of urgency. He was picked off of Jane by a man in a yellow uniform, probably a fireman. He had multiple burns and cuts in his body, but that didn't hurt him. What hurt him was the fact that the girl he loved, the person who had given him a chance, the person he wanted to spend the rest of his days with died in that inferno. Daniel still sees her with him in the room, but not her alive body. He is reminded almost everyday that he failed to save her by the hallucination of her burned corpse sitting in the corner opposite of him. Her eyes that used to be so filled with light and love...are now replaced with blank black eyes that haunt him. "Welp, I'm going to bed," he said to himself. He closed his eyes and within five minutes was asleep. His nightmare was strange this time, nothing was trying to kill him. He was in a bright white room with a brain in the center of it.
"Hey Danny," a voice said.
"Oh yay!" Daniel replied, "so how are you going to kill me Mr. Serialkiller?" The voice laughed a little, it sounded familiar.
"Danny you always were funny," the voice said.
"You don't know who the heck I am, just pop out and kill me already!" Daniel yelled
"Danny...you know who I am," the voice replied calmly. Suddenly a slender glowing blue girl walked out from behind the brain. The girl had long flowing hair and the body of a girl his age. It looked as if she was naked, but he could see she wore a jumpsuit that blended almost exactly with her skin. "You've really grown since I've last seen you, in a lot of ways," the girl said.
"We've never met, I like how my mind chose a girl like you to kill me, I'm getting creative," Daniel replied.
"I don't know if I should slap you or hug you," she said, "Danny, it's me, think about it." He did think about it. It came slowly, but he now remembered why he knew that laugh. Daniel fell on his knees and began to sob. She asked, "What's wrong Danny?"
"Jane," he said " I'm so sorry I couldn't save you, please forgive me!" He yelled. Jane was stunned by his response. She then sat down and hugged her crying friend. "Please just...just don't kill me...I don't what I'd do if I died by the hands of you!" Daniel yelled once again
"Danny there was nothing you could do, I was on fire, I was certain to die," she replied, "The fact that you would throw away your life just to save mine even though you had only known me for a year made me so happy." Daniel cried some more while being comforted by the ghost of his dead friend. The feeling of getting stabbed by his own mother in the nightmare was nothing compared to this nightmare.
"You look so much older from when you died, why?" Daniel asked
"It's your fantasy to see me still alive right?" Jane asked him. Daniel nodded slowly. "Your mind created that fantasy for you, so now I'm molded to look like what I would look like at our age." She continued.
"Wh-wh-why are you here, if you don't want to kill me?" Daniel asked.
"Well that's an easy question Danny!" She exclaimed, "I want to save you!" Just as she said that, Daniel woke up. He picked himself up off the ground and leaned against a wall thinking of Jane. She didn't kill him, she didn't hate him, she wanted to save him. It had to have been just a dream among many nightmares, no one was going to save him. She looked so beautiful in the dream, she had that life and compassion back in her eyes, and her voice was as comforting as ever. Finally after he had analyzed every last part of the amazing dream, he grew sleepy. He got back in his corner and laid down. "Good nigh-" he said just as he was interrupted by a voice in the opposite corner.
"Good night Danny," the voice said. He picked his head up and expected to see Jane's mangled corpse speaking, but instead saw the beautiful blue ghost Jane.
"Good night Jane," Daniel replied as he put his head down and fell asleep.