It's the least she can do.

"I'm looking forward to come back soon and continue what I love once I'm fully recovered." She smiled and bows, "Don't let me ruin the night, please have fun and enjoy the rest of the party." Mrs. Kim raises her glass to everybody and they all returned the same gesture.

She left the platform, being greeted by her guests, sending their concerns and goodlucks. She slowly made her way to where her daughter was and Jennie stands to pull her mom into a tight hug.

"You did great, mom." She says.

Her mother only squeezes her back, "Thank you, honey. I'm really grateful you're here," she lovingly said with a smile.

Jennie pulls away and gave her mother a reassuring smile, "How's your jobless life?" she joked.

"Well, it's good, so far. I'm thinking of hanging out with my friends tomorrow," Her mother rides her trick and laughs.

"You make sure to be home before 12," Jennie imitated her and laughs after realizing how bad that was, "All right, I'm not doing that again."

Her mother could only chuckle at her daughter's silliness, "Have you imagined if your father was here? I bet he would constantly ask if I'm okay," she lightly smiles at the memory of her desceased husband. "I wish he was here,"

Hearing that, Jennie's smile slowly fades into a frown. She felt the longing in her mother's tone and she couldn't help but feel guilty, for hiding what she knows about his death. She knows how much her mother misses him and she hates how she couldn't say anything about it.

Jennie clears her throat and puts a hand on her shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. "You don't have to think about him, mom. This is supposed to be your night, so you enjoy it." She says, "Also, this might be the last time you'll be able to attend a party since you will be busy with your medication."

Mrs. Kim only nods and exhales, "You're right," she touches her daughter's cheek, "I'll go check with the guests, will you be okay?"

"I can handle myself, go."

Jennie watches her mother walks away, going towards where the others are and she starts having conversation with them. She managed to remove her mother's mind off her dead father, she knows how worse would it be if she hadn't. She quietly sits back to her seat and swallowed a huge portion of her drink.

She then wondered, she hasn't seen her friend, Doyeon, around here. She didn't text or call her either when Jennie knows she was supposed to attend. Doyeon was the first person on her list.

Confused, she pulled out her phone from her glittery silver purse and dialed her number. She waited for an answer but it only went to voicemail. She called again and again but she never got a response.

Where the hell is she?

Interrupting her thoughts, a figure stopped by her table. Jennie looks up and saw a man, with a sharp detailed face and brushed up hair, wearing a white suit with a glass in his hand. He was looking at her softly, like he's not planning to leave any soon.

She puts her phone back to her purse, "Can I help you?" she asked the not so familiar guy in front of her.

"Are you alone?"

Jennie looks to her left and right, "I guess," she sarcastically answered, "What do you need?"

He fixed his tie and adjusts his watch, "Do you mind a company?" he asks with hopeful eyes.

"Ah, where is this conversation heading to?"

He shakes his head, "No, I have no bad intentions, I swear. I just, want to get to know you, at the very least." he replies with a shaky voice.

The brunette whips her hair to her back, "Why? Can't you talk to anyone else?"

"I mean, you're pretty, so."

When will this motherfucker leave?

The man reaches and lent his hand for a handshake, "The name's Hanbin,"

Jennie only looks at his hand, not planning to touch him at any cost. He then retracted it as soon as he realized he was left hanging.

"I heard you're the primadonna's daughter?"

"I am, so?"

"She's a really good designer," Hanbin says with a admiration in his eyes. "She was the one who made my mother's dresses and my dad's suits."

Jennie just nods, "That's nice," she replies, completely uninterested. She just doesn't know how will she end this conversation without hurting his feelings.

Hanbin clears his throat and takes a sip from his whiskey, "So, uh, you don't have a date? A plus one?" he says looking around.

"No, I don't."

He purses his lips, "That's a bummer," he tightly said and scratches the side of his neck, "Is it okay if I join y-"

"I have a boyfriend and he's coming here later on, you think he'll be happy to see you talking to his girlfriend?"

Obviously a lie.

Hanbin suddenly froze and gulps. He hesitantly picks up his drink, "Ah, is that so? Then, I'll leave. I'm sorry for disturbing you," he bows to her before he rushed to the opposite side of the hall.

The brunette could only click her tongue and shakes her head, "God I wish that was the case," she takes another heavy drink and sighs.

This is gonna be a long night.

---

A few drinks have passed and Jennie has already feel dizzy. Drinking alone was never good for her, she tends to overdrink and drown herself with alcohol until she couldn't speak anymore. Specially when she's in deep thought and stressing out about stuff she shouldn't be.

I have no date, Doyeon isn't here. What else am I supposed to do?

She wanted to try and mingle with the guests, get to know them, meet them but she realized she doesn't know anyone in here besides her mother, so she just remained seated and drink alone. It's not so bad anyway, there is a slow music playing and everyone looks formal and enjoy conversing with one another.

It's relaxing at the some point, that, or she's just getting tipsy.

That was when she heard her phone ringing, wondering who could have calling her at 1 in the morning, she answered it without looking at the ID.

Jennie sighs, "Hello?"

"JENNIE!"

She flinched when the caller yelled directly at their phone. She checked to see who it was and gritted her teeth, "What the fuck was that, Yeon?" she runs her hand through her hair, "And where are you?"

"I stayed home, I have cramps. I'm sorry if I couldn't answer your calls, I can't move."

Jennie just clicked her tongue, "Whatever," she says and puts her chin on her hand, "And why do you sound so rushed? Do you want me to buy you some heating packs-"

"No, no, that's not why I called."

"Then, why?"

Doyeon takes a deep breath before speaking, "I got missed calls, not just from you. I was sleeping around that time so I wasn't able to pick up." she says though the line, "I'm not sure why so I listened to the voicemail and they-"

Jennie furrows her eyebrows in confusion, "What? Who called you?" she asked.

"It's the hospital, Jennie..."

The hospital?

Could it be...

"Lisa just woke up,"