Chapter 33 Co-Existing Worlds

Start from the beginning

"Happy birthday, master."

Kyra said before sitting down at the table. I had wanted to talk to her a bit more, I was happy she spoke first to me for a change. But everyone wanted to congratulate me and before I knew breakfast was over and we were on the way to the throne room for the ambassadors.

~~~
Kyra's pov

It was the morning of the party held for the lord's birthday.
Sarah had warned me to sleep in early last night, because this would be a very long day.

I was sitting in the chair as Sarah was helping me get ready.
Thankfully I wouldn't need the ball gown until later this afternoon.

While she was doing my hair, she told me about today's schedule.

First breakfast with the lord.

Then at 10 o'clock we would be in the throne room, where ambassadors from different countries would congratulate the lord and offer him gifts.

Lunch with those ambassadors around noon.

Followed at 2 pm by the invite-only reception.

Then at 5 pm, dinner with those invited to the reception.

The ball would start at 7 pm but we wouldn't be there until 8 pm to open it.
It was expected to continue until late 2 or 3 in the morning.

To me it sounded like a drag.
My 18th birthday lasted about 45 minutes with only 5 in attendance.
I understood from Sarah that including the masquerade party tonight, there would be somewhere between 700 and 900 people visiting today, maybe even more.
Talk about overkill.

At breakfast I politely congratulated the lord on his birthday.
Thanks to everyone else in attendance, I could just ignore him for the rest of the time and eat in peace.
They were all talking to him, so he didn't have time for me.

At the throne room he made me sit on his lap while the ambassadors of the other territories brought their gifts.
I was appalled to see some gave scarcely clothed human slaves as gifts.

"Not a word."

The lord whispered sternly in my ear.

"Don't cause a scene about this."

"But look at the way they're dressed."

I whispered back in disgust.

"If you can even call that dressed."

"Some creatures have different idea's on how to use humans. Here they just end up in the dungeon for blood collection. I'm not into that kind of crap, besides you're entertaining enough with your clothes on."

He wrapped his arms around me and rested his head on my shoulder while he politely nodded at stream of people before him.
I was getting curious about something as I watched what was going on.

"Master?"

"Mmh?"

"How is it possible that no one knows that this world exists? I mean, there are so many ambassadors of countries I have never heard of at school and they seem to co-exist right beside how humans view the country borders."

Master sat up straight and leaned back in his throne while pulling me back with him.
He started to play with my hair.

"Some people suspect, believe or even know that we exist. There are people who know about us and even try to wipe us out. But most of the people who know are bribed to shut up and keep the rest of the world ignorant to our existence. Humans are naturally greedy."

A low annoyed growl was in his voice as he whispered his explanation.

"Well vampires are possessive by nature."