59 - this magic i've been feeling since i met you

Start from the beginning

"Well, yeah."

He turned from the windshield to face me. "Be honest, were y'all dating at some point?"

The question took me off guard and I smiled at him. "What, no? You know we didn't date. I haven't dated either Zade or Connor, you know that."

"But you liked him at some point, didn't you? You wouldn't have gone ice skating with him if you didn't like him."

I sighed. We'd already had a similar conversation about Zade when I first mentioned him to Josh, and I was a bit over it now. "Josh, we went as friends. All my friends from New York were there with us. Can we not do this now, please?"

He pursed his lips into a small smile and wordlessly nodded. Satisfied with that answer, I got the backpack that Josh had packed with hot chocolate and food out of the car, and he gently took it from me without a word when he'd walked over to my side of the car. I slid my hand into Josh's, and we made our way to the entrance.

"I'm sorry," Josh said, breaking the silence as he stood in front of the door to keep it open for me, and I brushed past him into the building. "I shouldn't have asked."

"It's fine," I shrugged. I just wanted to forget about it and move on.

He reached out and gently touched my arm, making me slow down. "No really, I mean it. I love you."

The simple words made my lips automatically tug upward. I would never get tired of hearing him say that. "Love you too."

There were surprisingly few people inside the cold building, so we quickly managed to buy a ticket each and rent the skates. As we stepped onto the ice, it was clear that neither of us were seasoned skaters — we wobbled unsteadily and clung to each other for support. I couldn't help but burst into laughter when I fell after just five seconds on the ice, and Josh's face broke into a grin as he held onto the rink boards and helped me up.

Despite it taking us about fifteen minutes to get the hang of it and actually start to move around the rink, neither of us minded tumbling or looking stupid in front of the other. After an hour of effort, we decided to take a break and have some food and hot chocolate in the stands.

"Did I mention your hair looks great?" Josh remarked with a playful smile. I assumed he was teasing me and knocked my shoulder into his, making him laugh. I had sent him a video of my purple hair a couple of days earlier, but he didn't seem to mind it one bit and had instead just found it amusing.

"Shut up. I told you it'll wash out," I mumbled, taking a bite of my sandwich. It had already washed out a bit, but I figured it would take more than a week for it to completely go back to normal again.

"No, it actually looks pretty good. I don't even remember what your hair used to look like," he grinned, and I rolled my eyes at him.

"For your information, mister, I actually happen to know someone who loves it."

"What, a ten-year-old girl?" he asked, and my eyes widened as I tried to suppress a smile. I had in fact been thinking about Molly's adorable reaction to it.

"How the heck did you guess that?" We both laughed at my reaction and the fact that he had guessed it correctly. "Also, not just her. Maeve liked it too, as a matter of fact."

***

None of Josh's family members were home as usual, and we decided to head over to his place after we got tired of ice skating. I still didn't know much about his family, having only met his dad once and his sister a few times. He didn't like talking about them either, but I had noticed that his parents rarely checked in on him and didn't seem to care much about his life or what he was doing. They were hardly ever home, and if they were, it was just for a few minutes before they left again.