55 - god bless andrea swift

SKYLAR

It was a sunny summer morning. Josh and I were walking hand in hand through the streets of New York City. We were laughing and making jokes, and Josh pointed to a small café down the street where we decided to stop. As we made it inside the café, we were greeted by an amazing aroma of fresh-made coffee, and just as I was about to tilt my head up to smile at Josh, the dream disappeared, and I woke up.

Sunlight hit my face and my head felt empty in a weird way as I slowly opened my eyes. The smell of coffee was still there, but I was not in a café in Lower Manhattan anymore, I was in Josh's bedroom. Someone had placed a tray with a light green cup of steamy hot coffee, a glass of orange juice, two grilled cheese sandwiches and what looked like aspirin on the bedside table, right next to my side of the bed. The tray made me smile and I heaved myself up a little on the bed. That's when I noticed my boyfriend watching me from a chair in the corner of the room. Seeing him made me remember last night's events and my smile faded.

"Good mornin'," he said, and I detected some hesitation in his voice. He was wearing his football practice uniform with the football helmet sitting in his lap.

I didn't say anything at first and just looked at him over the covers. I hadn't changed out of my Halloween costume last night, so I assumed I looked like a messier version of a Star-Spangled Singer with disheveled hair and most likely smudged mascara. "How long have you been sitting there?" I finally asked, but he didn't answer my question and said instead, "I think we need to talk."

I sighed and let my gaze fall down to his football helmet but ultimately nodded, knowing he was right.

"I really, really need to apologize to you. I should've done it yesterday, but you'd already fallen asleep by the time I got off the phone with your grandma."

I met his green eyes again and said the first thing that came to mind. "What did she say to you?"

He shook his head. "She talked some sense into me. She was honestly really cool, and she definitely cares about you a lot." His face twisted as if he was in pain. "Skye, I really don't know what I can say to make up for what I did last night. First of all, I should never have punched that guy, and I know you wouldn't've let anything happen between y'all. I was just really stupid, and you were right, I wouldn't have done what I did, had I not been completely wasted."

I looked down to my hands as I listened to him and absentmindedly fiddled with the green blanket that was always draped over his bed.

"And I know that's not a legitimate excuse for my behavior, there is no excuse for it. At all. I just hope you'll forgive me because... I don't know what I would do without you. Honestly. I love you, Skye."

My eyes widened in shock, and I snapped my eyes up to stare at him. "W-what?"

He gave me a small, sad smile and nodded his head once. "I love you. I don't know about you, but I've loved you since the first time we met in Harvey's kitchen. When I first saw you smiling at me, I knew I needed to talk to you. And when we talked, I knew I needed to be with you."

His face looked remorseful again. "I am so sorry about last night. After your grandma and I hung up I- I know it must've been even more traumatic for you because of your childhood, and I promise to never ever get that drunk again if it means I'll still get to be in your life."

I barely heard a word of what he was saying anymore and I forgot to be angry with him, all I could think about were the three words he'd repeated to me.

"I-I... What? You love me?" I was staring at him, mesmerized, and didn't know what to say.

"Yes," he replied straight away, and it reminded me of the first time I met Joe when I had asked him if he loved Taylor during Twenty Questions.