59 - this magic i've been feeling since i met you

A/N: Okay... I had honestly forgotten about this chapter, and I have a feeling you guys are gonna hate it🤭, but KEEP IN MIND, I wrote it a long time ago now and it's from Skye's perspective!! I'm sorry, I just don't have the energy to rewrite anything and there are only a few chapters left until the epilogue anyway :)

***

SKYLAR

However, the temporary guardians of a foster child are not obligated to provide long-term care, which can create a lack of certainty that leads to a false sense of stability and security for the

I was in my room writing an English essay for school when the doorbell rang. Since Joe was in London, I knew Taylor was talking to me when I heard her a minute later calling out, "Honey?"

"Yeah?" I called back as I continued to type.

child's future. With the knowledge that they can

"Skye?" Taylor called out again.

"What?" I shouted back, rolling my eyes before I skimmed through what I'd already written.

be taken

"Skylar!"

"What is it?!" I shouted, standing up from the desk and stomping out of my room to look for her.

As I walked through the kitchen, I found her standing by the front door, looking uneasy. Her mouth was tightly pursed into a thin line, and she was trying to look anywhere but at Josh who stood next to her in a fleece-lined flannel jacket, his hands tucked into the front pockets of his dark blue jeans. After getting ready for our date a few hours earlier, I had started doing some leftover schoolwork and completely forgotten about our plans. I felt a twinge of guilt for leaving Taylor alone with him for so long, but Josh didn't seem to notice how uncomfortable she was.

"Hi," he said, grinning at me.

I returned the smile and felt Taylor's eyes following me as well as his as I walked over to stand on my tiptoes and give him a kiss. "Hey."

"Alright, guys, break it up." Taylor walked over and put a hand on each of my shoulders, pulling me away from Josh. Josh just kept grinning, unaware of the frosty energy Taylor was giving off, but it didn't go unnoticed by me, and I looked up at her with uncertainty. She met my eyes and gave me a smile that didn't reach her eyes, but I had already made Josh wait long enough so I quickly went back to my room to retrieve my phone and purse.

When I came back, I put my coat on over the brown turtleneck that I was wearing and smiled up at Josh as I grabbed his hand.

"Ready?" he asked.

I nodded, and we said goodbye to Taylor and went out to his blue pickup. It was pretty cold out at around 40 degrees, but the temperature was unfortunately predicted to rise again next week.

"Have you ever gone ice skating before?" I wondered when we finally pulled into the parking lot of the ice rink. There weren't a lot of cars parked which hopefully meant there weren't a lot of people inside.

"Not really. I mean, I've gone with some friends a few times, but I'm not good at it."

"Okay, good," I smiled, relieved. "I only went, like, once last year, and I had to hold onto Zade the entire time. I almost even made him fall with me at one point." I laughed, but Josh didn't seem to think it was funny and instead looked deep in his own thoughts.

"You went ice skating with Zade?" he finally asked. We'd found an empty parking spot only a few cars away from the doors, but neither of us unbuckled our seatbelts.