Nine: Tears

I grab my bag after dismissing the girls to leave the football game. When I get off the track I see Nate standing there with bouquet of flowers.

    "Nate" I say stretching his name out. "Happy 4 years" he says to me with a big smile on his face giving me a small kiss on the cheek. I'm guessing his parents are around somewhere since he's acting like this.

    Marsha comes walking over to Nate and I.

    "Hi Mrs Jacobs" I smile pulling her into a hug. "Oh dear call me Marsha" she insists as we pull away from our hug. I just nod and smile. When she walks away I turn and give Nate a 'seriously' look. "What?" He whispers thinking he did something wrong.

    "First you actually act like you love me and now your mom is telling me to call her Marsha?" I question him. "It's been four years its about time they lighten up" he states grabbing my hand and intertwining our fingers.

    "Why do I not believe you Jacobs" I ask as we get into his truck. "No idea" he shrugs. Something is definitely up.

    "Okay now I know that you said you would just want to go home and be with me but I kind of brought us to dinner?" He says getting up and opening my door. "Nate who did you invite?" I ask him not getting out yet even though he's waiting with my door open. "My parents, brother, and your family?" He tells me almost a question. "For our 4 year?" I ask him still not believing everything. "Yeah" Nate says holding out his hand for me to take it. I accept it and get out of his truck.

    "Well hello you two" my mother says as we sit down at the end of the table in the restaurant. I mean this is nice, our families together but why? Nate's dad rented out the party room in my favorite restaurant. "I couldn't have even changed?" I ask leaning over to whisper to Nate. He then pulls out a Target sack with clothes and shoes in it. "What a life saver" I say getting up and kissing him on the cheek.

    "Oh wow" I hear our families say in shock. "We've been dating for FOUR years guys, not that big of a deal" I hear Nate also as I round the corner to the bathroom. I change into the white sweater and floral skirt.

    When I walk back out of the restroom I notice that there are present bags sitting by Nate's chair. I take a seat next to Nate. Around us there is Hazel on the right side of the table which is next to Nate of course, then my Aaron next to her with Cal on his side. On my left side its my mom, and next to her is Marsha.

    "You look good" Nate says leaning over and whispering in my ear. Color flushes my face. "Thank you" I tell him after taking a drink of my water.

    After we eat I notice Nate reaching down next to him, he grabs one of the bags and hands it to me.

    "Nate stop, I left yours back at your house" I say crossing my arms not taking the present. "Just open it Indi" he encourages. I sigh and stick my hand into the bag, I pull out 3 boxes all different sizes of small. "Open biggest to smallest" he informs me.

    I open the biggest one which is a little smaller than the size of a pop tart. I open the box to reveal a beautiful necklace with the letter N on it with a heart next to the N. I look up at Nate in awe, he never does anything like this. "I love this" I tell him quietly pulling him into a hug. Nate never likes to show weakness in front of his dad but I guess tonight is different.

    I look up at Nate and he looks a little nervous for some reason.

    I open the next box to reveal a pair of diamond earrings but the diamond is tinted pink. "I do not deserve you" I say pulling him into another hug. He just laughs a little. "They just get better and better, am I going to have to yell at you because of how expensive these are?" I joke. "After this next one probably" he says sounding kind of serious.

    I open the smallest box to reveal a beautiful little ring. I look up at Nate with shocked wide eyes. "You're kidding" I say quietly. "Look at the inside of the band" he smirks. "I promise to love you forever-N" the inside of it reads. I stand up and Nate stands up too. I pull him into a hug. "Can we step outside for a minute?" He asks as we are in our hug so no one else can hear. "Yeah" I respond. We excuse ourselves and walk outside.

    "Do you like it?" Nate asks as we are outside

    "Do you like it?" Nate asks as we are outside. "Like it? Nate I fucking love it" I say grabbing his hands and holding them with mine. "Im still so sorry about earlier this week" he tells me letting a tear fall from his eyes reminding me of earlier, what I saw on the field tonight were tears.

    "It's fine" I reassure him. "Couples fight sometimes and thats okay we always get through it" I tell him trying to calm him down. It doesn't work he's still letting tears out and looking down.

    I grab his chin and tilt it slightly up so he's looking at me and not the floor now. I just look into his sadden but happy eyes before leaning in and kissing him. "I love you Nate and thats not going to change" I say softly pulling away from our kiss.

    "Well lets see it!" Marsha says to me as I go back and sit down. Nate has already dried up his tears but mine are still relevant on my face. I hand Marsha my hand to look at it. "Oh it's beautiful, good job Nathaniel" she says to him with a smile. I look over at Nate trying not to laugh, he fakes a smile. "And thank you Indigo. Thank you for treating my son amazing and helping him through things that I couldn't" she tells me. "I should be thanking you for having such an amazing son" I say to her.