No. 51: Breakout Breakdown

Start from the beginning

Augustus let out a strangled sound that was remarkably similar to a cat throwing up.

"How do you know that?" Jules asked curiously.

"I did a book report on the Divine Comedy in sixth grade for extra credit, why?"

"Just curious."

They continued to run, eventually passing the carved-in graffiti. A thump sounded, followed by Jules letting out a small shriek and taking off his invisibility ring.

"Auggie, what are you doing?" he whisper-screamed, grabbing at what looked like thin air. "You can't—"

Augustus became visible as he slipped the ring into his pocket, staring up at the slashed words in shocked silence on his knees. And seeing that expression on his face...

Logan was well aware that Augustus had changed. He'd made a freaking case for it in Emile's office. But it wasn't until now that it really hit him.

This guy—the one who always had a cocky confidence, the one who laughed in that raspy Nick-Cage voice whenever someone failed, the one who seemed to revel in people's misery—was a scared, mistreated kid whose mental stability was hanging by a very, very thin thread. And the thought that someone cared about him enough to wreck everything because they lost him... was unfathomable.

"Frosty," Augustus whispered, hands curling into fists.

Jules put a hand on his shoulder. "I... I'm really sorry that she separated you two."

His lips tightened and he stood up. "I gotta find him."

Patton took off his own invisibility ring as he pulled out his phone, eyes widening slightly. "Guys, I... I have news, and I don't know if they're good or bad."

Everyone turned toward him.

"The helicopter guy said that he can pick us up right from the grounds," Patton said, pocketing his phone. "But we have to be out of here in fifteen minutes. Not sixteen, not fifteen and a half—fifteen. So we need to hurry."

"Screw that," Augustus snapped, whirling towards him. "My best friend... or... I don't know what the hell he is to me right now, but I have to tell him that I'm okay, time limit or no time limit. Tell that copter dude to wait."

"I can't—" Patton started.

"Try. Meet you at the grounds." Augustus raced down the hall, putting his ring on just before turning the corner.

..............

Please let me remember where his room is, Augustus prayed, invisibly darting from door to door. If he's even in his room to begin with—oh, god, I don't know where he goes when he's sad, what kind of friend am I? What kind of boyfriend will I...

He faltered a little when he realized what he'd just thought.

Are we gonna be boyfriends?

Are we already boyfriends?

What does it mean when you kiss your best friend when you're so sure that you're going off to die? Are you dating for that short period of time? Or are you just telling them that you love them before you head off to the chopping block?

Augustus shook his head. Nope. Don't think about the logistics right now. You got a fucking time limit.

He continued looking from door to door until he finally stopped at his old room.

Lumps of snow covered the floor, and icicles hung from the ceiling—and all of his old possessions looked like they were frozen to the floor. And sitting on the bed, knees to his chest, head in his hands, and sandy-blonde hair loose and spilling over his shoulders, was Ian.