Flower Crown

ㄨNickㄨ

***

"Mom?" I said in a quiet voice. I carefully walk over to her, trying not to startle. The woman is asleep on my father's leather chair, holding a half-empty bottle of alcohol. I have cold water on my hand and pills for a headache.

"I'll put these here for you in the morning," I turn and put it on the coffee table and look at her, "I love you." I say before I leave the living room. I go check to see my sister in her own room. I see that she's fast asleep, hugging her bear that I gave her recently. I smiled at the view. Hoping she will never remember this.

--

"Hey Nick!" I hear a familiar voice yell behind me. I turn around and see Duck. 

"Duck! Hey!" I smile. 

"Hey, so remember what you said about the music room and how you wanna use it?" He asks. I raise an eyebrow, trying to remember when I asked that. I remember and smile.

"Yeah, why?"

"We can use it," He said happily, "and right now, let's go!" He grabbed my wrist and ran all the way to the music room. When we entered, there was a mess of instruments layed on the floor and on their stands. The big, black piano pushed onto the wall on the left. Guitars of acoustic, electric, and classic sit on the walls. Some fallen, some leaning on the wall, and some on guitar stands. Wires thrown everywhere on the floor.

"Yeah it's a mess, the others just finished using them," He said, "but we can use them again!" Duck runs over to one of the electric guitars and plugs it in to the aux cord. He then chuckles nervously.

"I don't really know how to play" He says embarrassingly. I smile at him wider.

"I do" I walk over to the boy standing with the guitar in his hand. I take it and tune it. That's when we hear the door open, we look up to see Time standing at the door.

"What are you guys doing?" She asks. I hear Duck start to giggle as he answers,

"We're gonna play a song, wanna join?"

Time smiles, "Yeah of course! You guys need a drummer? I can play it" She offers

"Hell yeah thanks" I say. Time walks to the drum set and sets it up next to us. "What do we play?" She asks.

"I know a few songs," I say

"What do you know?" Duck asks. I smile when he asked that. I start playing 505 on the guitar, fingers softly playing on the strings. He laughs excitedly and gets a microphone and puts it on it's stand.

Song recommendation: 505 - Arctic Monkeys

Duck heads to the keyboard piano and brings it to us. He changes the way it sounds and starts playing it.

"I'm going back to 505" Duck sings, "if it's a seven-hour flight or a 45 minute drive, in my imagination you're waiting lying on your side with your hands between your thighs" 

I strum the next few notes gently, the way the song goes. 

"Stop and wait a sec, for when you look at me like that my darling what did you expect?" He continued singing. Time softly does the drums too as I continue doing the guitar.

"I promise I'll still adore you with your hands around my neck, or I did last time I checked"

"Not shy of a spark. A knife twists at the thought that I should fall short of the mark" Time sings. Both Duck and I smile at her.

"Frightened by the bite though it's no harsher than the bark middle of adventure, such a perfect place to start" I continue as I keep the same pace on the guitar.

"I'm going back to 505 if it's a 7 hour flight or a 45 minute drive" All three of us sings. We sing the rest of the lyrics until it's the guitar solo, which I do. 

I strum the notes. Hitting each of them perfectly. In the same pace as Time is in the drums. 

Now, it's time to go crazy.

"But I crumble completely when you cry" Duck sings loudly. I hit the notes harshly but well, Time hits the beats on the drums. I jump around, playing the guitar on my hands.

"I'M GOING BACK TO 505 IF IT'S A SEVEN HOUR FLIGHT OR A 45 MINUTE DRIVE" both me and Duck sing.

"IN MY IMAGINATION YOU'RE WAITING LYING ON YOUR SIDE WITH YOUR HANDS BETWEEN YOUR THIGHS AND A SMILE" I sing on my own now and start going insane with the ending solo. Just having fun, playing the notes and Time continues playing the drums. Duck cheering until the solo comes into a slow tone then to a stop. Once we finish, we hear clapping from outside the door. We look up to see Rex holding a camrecorder, a few members of Time's group, and some people we don't really know clapping for the show we just put on. I put my hand on my neck out of embarrassment and smile.

"THAT WAS AMAZING GUYS" Rex smiles and runs inside the room. 

"Thank you!" I smile back. We all form into a hug. Then everyone comes barging in, asking us questions like,

"Are you guys a band?"

"Have you written any songs?"

"What are you guys called?"

and most importantly, 

"Okay so everyone knows about Time and Rex, but are you and him dating?" They ask pointing at me and Duck. Whenever someone asks that, I blush furiously. Duck just laughs and answers their question to a "maybe"

"Nick, I wanna show you something" He smiles, grabs my wrist, and runs to leave out to the behind the school. Once we leave the school, we run through an alleyway, into a field I never knew existed. I look in awe, looking at all the pretty flowers in the field. Most of them are daisies

"Woah." I breathe.

"Cool right?" He says, "Come" He runs and lays on the grass, giggling. I smile and run to where he is and sit down. He sits up again and picks a few daisies. I see him tying them together to make... A flower crown??

"Here," He puts it on my head, "You look very nice with it on" He blushes and looks away. I smile. 

"Daises are my favorite flowers..." He says hesitantly, like I'm gonna judge him, "They remind of you somehow" He smiles and looks at me. I smile back at him. I want to kiss him. So fucking bad. I'm aware I have before, but I don't remember it. I was drunk. 

"Can.." I hesitate, is he even fuckin gay? "Can I kiss you?" Something in me forces me to say it. He gets wide eyed and blushes. Next thing I know, the gap between us closes.

I lay down on the grass and put my hands on his waist. His arms around my neck, holding himself up. He tastes like strawberries, freshly picked. We pull apart. I smile when I see his blush appear again.

Now there's a moment I'll never forget.