Chapter 23: 'Because He Lived...'

Start from the beginning

Your breath hitched as you couldn't help but imagine what that could have been like for him. You lightly reached over and grabbed Daniel's hand under the table for comfort. This surprised him at first, but he lightly squeezed your hand in return. 

"There were also traces of gasoline and a used match found at the scene, meaning the culprit probably tried to burn the body before or after Mr. Dubois died. But it seems he was unsuccessful considering there were little to no traces of burned flesh anywhere, or it could have been because of the rain that most likely kept putting the fire out."

You watched as she flipped over a piece of paper, a look appearing on her face that you didn't like. 

"And there is, another thing we found at the crime scene, but it's really sickening..." She trailed off, waiting to hear if everyone wanted to know what she was getting to. 

Everyone looked at each other in understanding and turned back to the detective with a nod. 

She took a breath and pulled out another piece of paper. 

"We found someone else's DNA mixed with the blood of Mr. Dubois." She looked down and shook her head in disgust. "The form of DNA points towards sexual assault..." 

That was it for you. 

You slammed your hand on the table and stormed out of the room in anger, slamming the door behind you and leaving everyone else inside with their own thoughts. 

~

After the meeting concluded, you did nothing but lean on the wall next to the door, watching everyone else leave. 

You tensed, feeling a hand rest on your shoulder. Turning your head you saw that it was Daniel. He was holding out a piece of paper for you to have. 

"They gave us the face of the man responsible from matching the DNA samples..." He began, handing it to you. "They did some digging on the guy and found out that he and Joie had a history together, starting all the way back from High School.

Daniel watched your hands begin to shake uncontrollably, as angry tears began to flow from your eyes the longer you looked at the culprit's face. 

You knew who it was.

"Woo wee! Look at the curves on that one!" A young man's voice rang out.

"Oh God please no." You ceased your dancing. Joie noticed your distress and stopped as well.

"Not them..." He gasped as a group of young men approached the two.

"You know those guys?" You whispered.

"Old friends of mine." He growled.

~

"You see he was a person of control. He wanted control over everything in his life, even me. You see the truth was he had the problem of letting his emotions get the better of him, therefore in his eyes he didn't have control. And that drove him mad. Then came the questioning of his sexuality. He liked girls but he liked men too, so he was going insane. Then he saw me, someone that looked like both a girl and a boy. And he became obsessed, he wanted me. He wanted me to stay with him long enough so I could help him regain control over himself, and to do that, he had to have control over me.

But, I didn't let him. And he grew furious with me. He turned all my guy friends against me and left me. Alone."