Chapter 23: 'Because He Lived...'

The drive to the location could never have been fast enough. Your heart pounded in your chest the closer you got to your destination. The moment you saw the many lights of cop cars and ambulances, you knew that this was the place. 

Stepping out of your car felt like gravity was trying to crush you into the ground, time seemed to stand still as you looked ahead at the sight before you. There were people everywhere, looking into the alley in horror. Some were holding onto each other with tears in their eyes. Others were passed out from the shock. 

You made your way through the crowd of people, you used your security guard badge to fool the cops into letting you pass the caution tape. The moment your head lifted up from ducking underneath the tape, what you saw made your heart explode in pain. 

There, in the very center, was Mrs. Dubois. She was on her knees hunched over holding her stomach, crying out in French-

"Mon bébé! Mon petit bout de chou!" She screamed out, nothing but hot tears running down her face. She was reaching out towards the direction of the alley as if Joie was going to hear her pleas to come back to her from the dead. The poor woman was in nothing but a bathrobe, meaning that she was called out of the blue just like you were, and got here as fast as she could without changing. 

You looked around some more, to see Daniel leaning against a brick wall as he was being questioned by the police about his discovery. 

"Mr. Grayson, all we're asking is how you managed to identify a dead individual by just an arm." One of the cops sighed. 

Daniel just rubbed under his spectacles in frustration. 

"I already told you, officer, on the very end of the shoulder where it was chopped off, there are unique marks that curve inward. That is because he had a very unordinary injury that caused it beforehand!"  Daniel explained once more but still didn't seem convinced. 

"Listen, buddy, you either show us proof of your claim, or we're going to have to arrest you under suspicions of murder." Another cop joined in. 

"That's why I called somebody who can tell you herself." Daniel leaned over and signaled you to come over. "This here is Y/n L/n, she was Joie's best friend and co-worker at his job long before I began working there." 

The two policemen turned towards you with a sigh. 

"You know what this man is talking about?" One of them asked. 

"Yes, he's telling the truth..." You looked down sadly. "Joie sustained an injury on his left shoulder that left a very noticeable mark." 

"You got proof of this Ms. L/n?" 

You nodded your head and pulled out your phone. You flipped it over showing the two cops a picture of you and Joie hanging out at the park together. He was wearing a muscle shirt so you could see his arms and a bit of his chest clearly. 

"See here, on his left shoulder?" You pointed out the multiple dotted lines and made a trace showing how big it was. "That's where it was." 

The cops held their hands out so you would give them the phone and looked over it closely. They didn't really react until they covered up all of Joie's body in the picture, only leaving the part of his left shoulder and arm visible. Their eyes widened as they saw the resemblance almost instantaneously, and called out for the paramedics to get the arm examined immediately. 

They turned back to you and began to now ask you questions. 

"Do you know what caused that weird mark on his shoulder?" One asked.