Chapter 23: 'Because He Lived...'

Start from the beginning

"It was an injury at work, he was a mechanic for the animatronics down at Freddy Fazbear's Mega Pizza Plex. He was working on the Montgomery Gator animatronic when an electric current shocked the animatronic into shutting down, the jaw loosening and it fell over. I'm sure you can guess what happened next..." You lied about some of it so it would sound more believable and professional. It was wrong, but you didn't care about that right now. 

They nodded in understanding and jotted down some notes. 

"When was the last time you ever saw him?" 

"Earlier today, he was helping me load up the Glamrock Freddy animatronic for a birthday party he was rented out for. Joie was gone when I returned."

"Did Mr. Dubois have a car?" 

"Yes, but he lived only a few blocks away from the plex so he just rode his bike to work every day..." 

"Thank you for your cooperation with us, we'll be sure to let you know any information we gain during the investigation."

~

Weeks went by and you did everything you could to comfort Mrs. Dubois as best as you could. But knowing that the funeral was coming around in a few weeks, it was going to be a tough thing to do. 

She was always trying to keep herself busy with the planning. She was putting so much money into this event that her husband had to step in to make sure she didn't waste all of her money on this. She wanted everything to be perfect and was going to spend every penny she own to make it happen. 

So many people that were close to the family would come by the house to see her. The group of people that made her cry when visiting, was the old group of friends that she used to hang out with while Joie was being homeschooled that he would join every once and a while. 

They embraced her with nothing but tears everywhere, they were going to stay for the month to make sure that she would be alright, and wouldn't do anything rash because of her current predicament. 

It was now the day of the funeral.

There were a lot of people there, including Daniel and his father who of which you managed to get a seat next to. Which was nice because you had someone you knew that you could take comfort in while you all went through this trying time. 

Looking over to the center pews, you felt your sorrow deepen, for there was only Mrs. Dubois and her husband sitting in the family section. 

Taking a deep breath, you looked over to Daniel, the two of you meeting gazes. He gave a small nod, turning back forward as the service began. 

"We are gathered here today, to celebrate the life of a young man who was taken from us far too soon..." The priest began. "But as the saying goes, 'we must not be sad because he died, but happy, because he lived'..."

~

After the funeral, everyone close to Joie was invited to come down to the station to hear the progress of the investigation regarding Joie's murder. 

"After investigating the crime scene and the arm found there, we have concluded a couple of things about what happened to Mr. Dubois." The lady began, opening up a folder filled with the files and evidence they collected over the past few weeks. 

"The DNA samples of blood all match that of Mr. Dubois so the arm is no doubt his. The angles at which blood was splattered across the walls and ground, plus the terrible shape the arm itself was in,  no doubt that the poor man was beaten with something long ranged like a bat. He might have even been stabbed considering the many deep cuts on the arm that was by no doubt caused by a knife of some kind."