Chapter 6: Bane Allensworth

Through the eyes of Bane Allensworth

Life is so fragile. Like a butterfly. I can keep in my palms, but if I close my hands, it will be crushed. I have the power to determine whether it lives or whether it dies. To this butterfly, I literally have its life in my hands. Would I be considered its God?

Looking up at the sky, I wonder, who has my life in their hands?

"Bane?" Ender asked as he came into my chamber, "You awake?"

With my eyes closed, I demanded crossly, "What do you want?"

Knowing he had bothered me, Ender cleared his throat and continued meekly, "Halo wanted to know when he'll be coming."

Groaning irritably as I got out of bed, I answered, "When he gets here."

"But sir, Halo is beginning to doubt that he'll ever be coming," Ender persisted.

I lifted my head to face him, and I glared into his soul, "Tell Halo, patience is a virtue. But when he tries my patience, I will rip him apart."

Ender nodded and hurriedly walked out the door. I was now left to my thoughts. Where are you? My eyes wandered around my cave dwelling; it was one of many Kana had built for us in the side of the mountain. The rock walls were dusky and jagged, and the beds were uncomfortably hard. The air was dank and difficult to breathe. The only light in the room was the dim light of a candle Ender had brought in earlier. There was another bed at the other side of my room; it was supposed to be his. Where are you?

It was too depressing here. Too empty. I finally willed myself to get out of my personal cave; I needed some clean air. The stony earth was chilling to the bottom of my bare feet. As I traveled through the crude, dark hallway, I saw a light at the end of it, opening to the sky.

Outside, I saw everyone huddled around a campfire, chomping ravenously on cooked steak and bread. Ender looked up and once he saw me, lowered his head, virtually into his meal to avoid my gaze. Halo noticed Ender's humility, and looked at me, with hatred burning holes in his eyes. He walked over and demanded, with his antagonistic pointing finger, "You promised that our last member would have come with you. He didn't. You told us he'd come here in a few days. He didn't. What game are you playing? Were you even able to kill the Guardian of Light?"

Who does this idiot think he is? Since when did he think he had any authority to challenge me? He may have the heart of Spirit, but he is becoming useless to me. Then I imagined the butterfly. Its wings are so fragile. With one pull, you can take the wing for your own, and the butterfly is grounded. Left to die. Without its wings, it's doomed. A vulnerable creature.

I grabbed his finger and twisted it until he cringed into submission. I asked him politely, "Dear Halo," and I continued to twist it until I heard the joints ripping, "What gave you this defiant spirit? I am your Leader."

Halo, with tears in his eyes, begged, "P-please, forgive me."

I continued to exert pressure, while my stare burned into his soul. I whispered, "If you don't like my rule, you are welcomed to challenge me."

He shook his head violently, and I let go of his finger. It dropped down flaccidly; the cartilage had been torn apart, and the bones had been crushed in my grip. I destroyed it. Who knew that such a useless part of your body could be the most manipulative? I chuckled to myself. All of them are so weak. So helpless. They don't know the extent of their powers. But I know mine.

Ender came over and wrapped Halo's finger with a stiff cloth, trying to move his finger back into place. I turned to him and shouted, "Leave him! A dissenter like Halo deserves no help from us."

Eon came over and protested, "But his joints need to be put back into place and the cloth will help with the healing process. He'll lose the capabilities of his finger!"

I laughed wickedly, and my voice echoed in the sky. At this height, I wonder whether the Gods could hear me. I hissed, "He should have thought of that before he pointed his finger at me in defiance."

Halo pushed Ender away and bowed at my feet, touching his forehead to the rocky ground. He cried, "I'm sorry. You are our Leader."

Ender bowed too, in a similar fashion. And after him, Eon bowed, then, Kana did. The others followed. I smiled and formed a shadow butterfly in my fingers. Its thin wings were black as the night. So fragile, yet so beautiful. So weak, yet so inconspicuous. I whispered in the Ancient tongue, "Firogala aidenaro."

Find Aiden.

And with that, my creation floated with the power of the wind, down the mountainside, leaving the Summit.

Undying #Wattys2015जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें