PROLOGUE

(A/n : For an epic experience listen to the soundtrack above in conjunction with the story)

Word count →_→ 789 words

☣️☣️☣️

She could hear her heart beat as she poured all her remaining energy into her legs and willed them to carry her to the rooftop.

The sound of her footsteps echoed on the concrete floor, sweat trickled down her neck as she raced to catch the helicopter before it left.

The growling and hissing of the infected as they chased after her and every other survivor who, like her, was fighting to escape, was her one motivation to keep going. Her lungs burned as she felt her body suffocate from the inadequate oxygen she was getting but she knew stopping would breed a far worse fate than carrying on.

Another survivor who was running alongside her, a soldier who had come to her aid, ran besides her. She was vaguely aware that he was shooting his gun and taking down some of the infected who were chasing them.

She doesn't see as he falls back when they begin to catch up to them. She doesn't even know as he is suddenly mauled down by the infected who waste no time tearing into his flesh, each of them hungry for his flesh and blood. His screams of agony never make it to her deaf ears for she has blocked out everything around her in her desperation to escape.

The helicopter's propellers were set in motion as she finally spotted it.

Only fifty meters left and I will live, was her one thought as she kept running.

She felt her body rejuvenated as she thought about how she was about to escape the death that was chasing her.

As she ran towards the only source of escape from the base that had become hell on earth, she suddenly came to an abrupt stop when she spotted him. Subject zero.

He had appeared in front of her, blocking her path. The only way to get to the helicopter was through him and yet she knew that that was never going to happen. She had seen what he had done to an entire squadron of soldiers sent to take him down.

She could still remember the look on Sergeant Philly as he had watched as the subject rose from the rubble after he had thrown a bunch of explosives at him. Ordinary man would have been turned to dust yet somehow subject zero had risen from the rubble without a single scratch, only a missing left arm that he had regenerated instantaneously.

It had been a massacre after that as subject zero had plowed through them mercilessly.

Even the infected that had been chasing her had stopped. Blocking her retreat yet not making a move to attack her.

Now here he was standing between her and her freedom.

His physical appearance hadn't changed much. Except for those black veins that were pulsing along his neck and forehead and the terrifying golden eyes, he still looked like the boy she had come to know and love.

She thought about appealing to his humanity. For the 10 days she had known him, they had been pretty close. They may have been friends even.

He wouldn't kill his friend, right?

Before she could open her mouth to speak, he suddenly disappeared. Appearing again on the roof of the helicopter.

"No... No!" She began to scream, but she was helpless as she watched him pull the aircraft apart with his bare hands before jumping back onto the rooftop where she stood, leaving the helicopter tumbling down to the ground where it exploded upon impact.

Her knees shook as she stood before him. She had no where left to run, with no means to escape the monster that stood before her. She had never given much thought to her death but as she looked into his once brown eyes that now glowed a fierce gold color, she was convinced she was about to die.

"Alex, please.." she begged as she watched him slowly approach her.

She tried to back away, forgetting the infected that stood behind her barricading her escape but she felt her knees go weak as she fell to the ground, kneeling before him.

She couldn't bring herself to watch as he reached out to her. She squeezed her eyes shut and felt the tears as they streamed down her cheeks.

If she was going to die, she did not want to see it.

She felt as his cold fingers grazed her cheeks. Her body frozen in terror as her eyes immediately opened. A reflex she could not stop. Her blue eyes could not look away from his as she tried to comprehend what was going on.

She wanted to move away from him but she couldn't do anything. He could tear her apart in the blink of an eye. Her body was held prisoner.

As she was still trying to contemplate what was about to happen, she felt his lips against hers.