Chapter 17: Dobby

Harry sat in the Hogwarts kitchens with Hermione, he was feeling just a little scared of what he had to tell her and had absolutely no idea how to go about it, 'How do I tell her that I am the last Horcrux' he wondered as an Elf brought them a steaming mug of freshly made tea. Seeing the elf gave Harry an idea, something else he could focus on for now, 'Free Dobby, that's what I need to do next' he told himself cheering up a little.

Harry was about to tell Hermione how he wanted to set an elf free, but stopped himself when the word spew entered his mind. How was he to get Hermione to help without getting her all fired up so that she would once again start to knit silly woollen hats. This he decided would take a little more thought and planning before he said anything to her, he would need to think and tread carefully, very carefully.

Hermione though had other ideas, she had picked up his thoughts about Dobby 'Ok Harry, what ever it is you might as well tell me now' she told him as she finished her tea.

Harry sighed a little; he obviously had not been thinking carefully enough, he told himself as he finished the last of his tea before telling Hermione how he had decided that he wanted to set the Malfoy elf free.

'Set their elf free, what elf?'

"Well you might not know this but most of the old magical families have house elves, the elves in some families are mistreated because the families don't understand that they have feelings just like we do. I saw Malfoy kick his elf for no obvious reason, besides I feel sorry for any creature that has to live with such an evil family, so I think I should try to help the little guy," Harry told his astonished wife.

'There,' Harry thought 'and without mentioning that they are mostly just slaves'. "Come on if we are quick we can get to the ministry before Malfoy gets sent to prison and Mrs Malfoy and Draco go home."

'Harry love, we cant apparate inside Hogwarts, and someone might notice if we just walk down to the main gate and vanish into thin air, don't you think' Hermione thought as her husband wrapped his arms around her.

Harry watched as the elves around them prepared lunch for the professors that lived at the school all year long. He was wondering how they could get to Diagon Alley without giving away the secret that they could both disapparate, the idea came to him as he thought of how his little friend Dobby had saved their lives during the other war on Voldemort.

"I've got an idea," he suddenly said as he called the kitchen elves to him.

"As I am the true heir to Gryffindor, I need some help, I need to ask a favour, is anyone here willing to take me to Diagon Alley?" he asked as the elves gathered around him.

Several seconds ticked by and Harry was just about to give up on the idea of using elf magic to get him to London when an elderly female elf stepped forward, "I will take the master to Diagon Alley sir," she said in a squeaky little voice.

"Good, Hermione love you wait here, I wont be long I have to fetch something," Harry said as he rushed from the kitchen.

Hermione along with several of the elves stood and watched in surprise when he took off at a run, he was out of the kitchen before she had a chance to say anything.

"Would the Mistress like another cup of tea," an elf asked her as she stared at the door Harry had just rushed through.

"Why on earth did you just call me mistress?" a surprised Hermione asked the elf.