15 | a moment to mourn

CHAPTER 15,

A MOMENT TO MOURN

TIME SET:

Present, 2023
Amazon

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

GILGAMESH IS DEAD. The Eternals had found Thena slumped over a limp body as she had wailed so loudly that the noise echoes throughout the forest. Hands are tightly gripping onto the clothing on his body as an attempt to keep herself grounded. Along with that, the words 'I'll remember' is being repeated over and over as they come tumbling from her lips. Gilgamesh had been the first Eternal to even offer to keep a close eye on Thena so that he could be there to stop her from suddenly lashing out due to mahd wy'ry. But now Gilgamesh is gone. The universe had ripped him away from Thena before her very eyes.

Each of them had stood around the warmth of a fire that Reyna had created for them to surround. Karun had recited a scripture out loud in Sanskrit, paying his respects to Gilgamesh and allowing everyone to silently listen. Nobody had the energy to speak up and say anything to one another, too emotional to even gather their thoughts together. Reyna had just stared into the roaring flames in front of her, trying to control her emotions to stop rain from pouring down and putting it out.

Currently, the sun is slowly risen upon the horizon after they had all spent their night mourning for the loss of a dear friend. Thena hadn't spoken a single word to anyone, but now she stands in the water as she clutches onto the urn that has been filled with Gilgamesh's ashes. Nearby, Reyna can be seen on the sandy bank of the lake as she hugs her legs to chest once again. Brown eyes are trained onto the water in front of her, watching as small ripples often appear.

"Hey." Druig softly greets as he takes a seat on the bank beside her. "I can leave if you don't want me here, by the way. Don't feel obligated to let me stay."

"No, it's okay." Reyna assures, flashing a small smile his way. "It's probably better for the both of us if we have company."

"Yeah." Druig quietly agrees.

A silence settles over them. They sit side by side with the smallest gap resting in between the both of them, being one of the only things that is preventing their arms from accidentally brushing against each other. Reyna's face buries further into her arms while she continues to hug her legs — almost as if she's fearful that if she lets go, she'll end up breaking. Meanwhile, Druig decides against being the one to speak up first, not wanting to bother the peace that she was sitting in. However, Reyna decides to begin a conversation.