8 | transfer of the sphere

CHAPTER 8,

TRANSFER OF THE SPHERE

TIME SET:

Present, 2023
South Dakota

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

AFTER A LONG and tiring journey along the quiet roads of South Dakota, Reyna and the three Eternals soon come to a stop at their desired location where they then each step out of car. The house in front of them looks like it's been submerged into darkness as the droplets of rain just slide off of the roof before it gets soaked into the grass below. Not a single light has been turned on either. This only gives Reyna the impression that nobody is home, which is something that's unusual since Ajak is always here at night.

Reyna trails behind the three as they step foot inside the dark house. Wind is whistling loudly in their ears as Sersi repeatedly calls Ajak's name, looking for the woman so that they can speak to her. Reyna hears a rattling of a door handle and turns to see that a door has been left open where it now aggressively sways in the air. A single porch light hangs outside of the door, only being turned on since Ikaris had flipped the switch. However, looking beyond the only source of light, nothing can be seen in the darkness.

Sersi begins to make her way over to the door after noticing that it's been left wide open too. She steps outside onto the porch while Reyna follows closely behind her, also curious as to why. The pair did not come across a sight that they wanted to see, nor was it something they were ever expecting; Ajak lays on the grass with her brown hair sprawled out around her, blue toned body remaining still. Reyna's eyes widen at this before she then finds herself running towards Ajak with Sersi right by her side. Ikaris and Sprite are quick to run after the both of them.

"Ajak." Reyna whispers with tears now stinging in her eyes. "Wh— I don't... How?"

"It was a Deviant." Ikaris replies.

Sersi reaches a hand out to caress Ajak's cold skin as tears now blind her vision. Sprite drops down onto the grass beside the pair while salty tears roll down her cheeks and drop into her lap. Reyna is unable to peel her eyes away from Ajak's lifeless body resting in front of them, in shock at the fact Ajak is actually dead. The wind rapidly picks up to become stronger, swirling around their bodies and picking up leaves along the way. Droplets of heavy rain begin to pour down onto their skin, instantly soaking them with just a simple touch.

"Reyna." Ikaris calls, almost warningly. "You need to control your emotions. Keep them in check."

"Ajak is dead." Reyna states as she turns to look at him in disbelief. "None of us have ever died. And you expect me not to react like this when I find this out?"