31: Plans

"Harry, Professor McGonagall is here!" Ron called out from downstairs. "And Dumbledore!"

Harry released his embrace around Draco. "Dumbledore?"

"I don't know." Draco said. "But we better see what he wants."

"He can't make you go to Malfoy Manor." Harry said. "I won't let him force you into anything."

"The cards are on our side." Draco said. "If you are up to revealing a few." Draco picked up the Aevumiter book.

Harry's gaze hardened. "I'd rather not, as much as possible."

Draco nodded, and set the book down. "Then let's get this conversation over with."

They made their way down the stairs, Harry in the lead. Dumbledore, McGonagall, Hermione, Ron, and the twins were waiting around the dining table. 

"Gentlemen." McGonagall said in greeting. 

"Draco, I was hoping we could discuss your options." Dumbledore said. "With your condition there are some things that must be taken into consideration."

"I've already thought through my options, Professor. I won't be returning to Hogwarts." Draco said. 

"Very well." Dumbledore said with a nod. "I will let your parents know that you will be returning home early."

"Actually, I must request that you don't say anything to my parents." Draco said.

"Why ever not?" Dumbledore asked.

"I won't be returning to Malfoy Manor." Draco said, matter of factly. "Mr. Black has offered for me to stay in his home. I think it is best that I reside here for the time being, with former Professor Lupin's guidance."

Dumbledore tilted his head. "Quite reasonable, however there are legal things we must take into consideration..."

"I'll be staying too." Harry said. 

All pairs of eyes except for Draco's turned to stare at Harry.

"You what, mate?" Ron asked. "I don't think I heard you right."

"I won't be returning to Hogwarts." Harry said. 

"Harry, my boy. You can't forsake your education for a friend." Dumbledore said kindly. "Though the intention is admirable. Hogwarts is the safest place for you."

"With all due respect, Professor," Draco said, stepping just slightly in front of Harry. "How dare you claim something so absurd?"

"I'm afraid I don't understand." Dumbledore said.

"Harry is not safe within Hogwarts. He would have been attacked several times over if Blaise and I hadn't stuck with him. And don't bother trying to claim that the professors would have stepped in, because one of them could have killed him." 

"Draco, I don't know why you think so little of-"

"Do you turn a blind eye on everyone who uses dark objects on students?" Draco snarled, "Or is that just for Umbridge?"

Dumbledore's eyes widened for a moment. "I see." He said, taking in Draco's protectiveness. "Alas, the choice to withdraw you from school is not mine to make."

Harry was growing nervous. He didn't want to reveal what he was, not for something like this. Not to Dumbledore. But it looked like that might be the only way. Harry glanced at McGonagall, and saw she was staring at him. She winked. 

"Someone call for me?" Sirius asked, his arms crossed as he leaned his shoulder against the door frame. Remus stood beside him. "By the way, Professor, I'm taking Harry out of Hogwarts."