Chapter 8 - Under the Twilight Sky

Start from the beginning

Speaking of weaponsmith, I remember something. Eight days ago, just a few hours after our departure...

My hair was flying freely as the breeze blows through my entire body. The surroundings looked like they are running backwards.

At my right side were lines of trees and bushes with their relaxing green color and some occasional beautiful flowers. Heard was the sound of water flowing in the Great River of Ameld at my left side, bordered by a hedge with trees growing several meters apart from each other. Its flow was so clear like a crystal, revealing fishes swimming around inside it. Above our heads were birds flying around, painting the azure sky with their colorful feathers.

I was burying my hands and legs in Fuuga's warm, fluffy fur, making my ride even more comfortable.

I used to always see this through Master's eyes. Now that I get to experience it myself, it does feel so different. It is...far more fun and exciting than I thought.

I was given Fuuga, this wolf I was currently riding, as a sort of personal wolf as Master put it. I didn't know what to do with it. I still accepted it anyway. It was Master who gave it, after all.

"Ranga, Fuuga, don't you feel tired? You've been running without any breaks for three hours since our departure, you know," Master asked.

I was sure he actually knew that they did not feel tired at all. I mean, they had been told beforehand to use less than half their maximum speed. This was most likely just for an idle talk. Master often did such a thing with other people too, after all. "There is nothing wrong with trying to talk nicely with the others," he once said.

"Fortunately, my lord, our evolution has made us far stronger than we was before," replied Fuuga.

"We are not fully freed from the needs of sleep as you are, but we do not need an extended time for rest, nor do we need frequent stops for food! It will be no obstacle, even if we fast for several days!" exclaimed Ranga proudly.

"By the way, we're the kind of guy who almost got you killed, aren't I? Do you have, you know, any resentment to us?"

"There is nothing as such, my lord," Fuuga answered. "In fact, we have nothing but gratitude."

"Not only did you forgive us," Ranga said, "but you also gave us the second chance to live and repent for our mistakes."

"You even bestowed us these beautiful names and evolved all of us, on top of that," continued Fuuga.

""Our loyalty belongs to both of you, and will always belong to both of you alone; my lord and my lady,"" they claimed in unison.

The father and the son indeed looked alike, didn't they?

"I see." Master smiled widely as he petted Ranga's head. "We are so glad to have you."

...

"Stop!" Master suddenly commanded a few minutes later.

Hearing the command of their master, the wolves simultaneously stopped their run.

I looked at Master. His expression changed into a worried face. "Is there any problem, Master?" I asked.

Ranga and Fuuga simultaneously turned their heads, looking at Master. "What is the problem, my lord?" Ranga also asked.

"I completely forgot." He scratched his head.

"Forgot about what?"

"The magic ore."

I thought something bad had just happened, but it seemed my anxiety was for nothing.