As we walked in a sudden smell of flowers hit me. "Lavender?" I asked, sniffing the air Luis.

"Stay here where it's safe." So we stood there by the door.

"I'm gonna set Lianne on the couch." Luis said, grabbing her hand.

"Hey, I'm not a delicate object. I can walk there myself." She jerked her hand forward, losing her balance.

"I beg to differ." Luis said. I looked up to see the kitchen door opening and the sound of heels on the floor.

"Ah, my prized possessions!" I heard a woman exclaim in a British accent.

"She's from the UK?" I whispered.

"Nope. Not once has she stepped foot in UK." Luis said.

"How's my daughter doing?" She said, examining her daughter. "I see you haven't been to the salon." She mumbled loudly.

"Okay, mom. How did you get in here?" Luis asked.

"Daniel let me in. So no one was going to tell their dear mother that my one and only daughter is in the hospital. I am just a plane ride away in Seattle." She said. Her hair was in a tight pony tail, the same brown as Luis and Lianne. Her red dress was tight and reached below her knees.

"So sorry mom, but there's no room." Luis said, going towards her.

"Nonsense, you live in a mansion and- my, you didn't tell me your wife was here." She said as she pushed him away.

"Hi Mrs. Jones." I said to her hugging her. Luis coughed, signaling me as he shook his hand in the air, shaking his head too.

"It's not Mrs. Jones, it's my maiden name Ms. Gordan." She said.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were divorced." I said.

"You didn't tell your own wife your dad-"

"Mom." He said sternly. I looked at him as he gave her a look.

"So, sweetheart, how's your family?" She asked, changing the subject.

"Good." I lied. They're all dead btw.

"Mom, why don't you just leave. You've already made it uncomfortable." Lianne asked.

"Well, honey I was just trying to help. Is is a crime to care for my children? Only a good mother must nurse their children, right Nicole. Others forget they even have children." She said. I bit my lip.

"Mother! Okay, you need to go, and you need to go right now." Luis said. "Daniel, get her things and show her out." Luis said.

"Luis, come on she didn't know." I said. "She's just trying to help, after all. And we could use someone to help watch Lianne." I suggested.

"I'm going to watch her." Luis said.

"Do you even have the time? Let your mother stay for one night." I said.

"Okay fine. Mother, you can sleep in the guest room across from mine."

"Wait Luis, that's my ro-" I stopped myself and he gave me a she-doesnt-know-our-relationship-isn't-real stare. "That's my... job to show you where it is." I said to her.

"Thank you daughter in law." She said as she hugged me. "To show my graditude I'm going to cook my famous pot roast." She said as she walked away.

"We have a chef." Luis said.

"Oh him? Yeah, I fired him." She said. Luis's eyes shot open. He was going to say something, but she left the room.

"I am so sorry about my mom. She didn't know about your mom. You fine?" Luis said shyly.

"It's okay. I'm okay." I said nodding. "I'd better clean the room out." I said.

"I'd better re-employ Jack." Luis said, dialing his phone.

***

"You guys are going to to love this." Luis's mom said as she scooped up her roast.

"Does this have meat? I'm a vegetarian."

"Not to worry, I have some steamed veggies on the stove." She said as she left the dining table and went to the kitchen.

"It smells really good." I said.

"Dad made it better." Lianne commented. "In fact, I'm not that hungry for this. Must be the antibiotics." Lianne said.

"Can you guys stop?" I asked quietly.

"This is going to be a long week." Luis agreed, picking at the food.

"Can you guys stop?!" I yelled. "She is trying her best. I don't know your history with your mother, but she is your mom. And frankly, you guys are the ones making it difficult. I would do anything to have my mom here, much less in the room, and you guys are just so.. so ungrateful! So shut up, suck it up, and eat the food she prepared for you." I yelled as I got up from my seat and went to my-our room.

I folded my arms and sat in the corner of the bed. The door opened. I turned and saw Luis.

"You are such a jerk." I said looking at him.

"I am such a jerk." He repeated, which made me laugh.

"Your mother doesn't deserve you for children." I said shaking my head. He sat on the bed besides me.

"I know that. But it's just hard to have her waltz in my life like this." He said. "But I'll try." He said looking at me and holding my face. He wiped away the streams of salty tears on my cheeks. "I don't want you to ever cry because of me. It breaks my heart. See?" He took my hand and placed it on his chest and imitated breaking noises. I giggled.

"Your heart is beating out your chest. You finally have feelings for me." I said as a joke.

"How'd you know?" He said as we laughed. "Now, can I interest you in a meal downstairs. Table for four?" He asked.

"I'd be delighted." I said.

"Wait, you have to fix my broken heart. I propose one kiss on the chest?" I kissed his shirt. "Nah, that didn't work." He unbuttoned his shirt and revealed his six pack.

"You are such a joker." I said as I kissed his bare chest. "Better?" I asked.

"I think my lip is broken now." He said as he puckered up and closed his eyes. I snuck out and laughed.

***

As night came, I changed into the longest PJs I had in my closet. "Here Ms. Gordan, I got you some extra blankets." I said.

"Please, call me Liz." She said as she laid down in the guest room. "Thank you honey." She said as I handed her the blankets and left to Luis's room, who was on the laptop, in his bed.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked him as he typed.

"Yup. I'm all ears." He said.

"I told you all about my life, my parents, my family. But I don't know anything about you. What happened with your dad?" I asked slowly. I could see him getting uncomfortable. He immediately stopped typing and looked at me.

"He left when I was eight. Boo, hoo, sob, sob, sob. The end." He said.

"Come on. You and I both know that's not a real story." I said.

"Not tonight." He said as he wiped his eyes. Was he crying? I bit my lip.