CHAPTER 3: The Journey

You were resting in an abandoned cabin, a dead farm nearby as you waited for Karl to return his supply run. You cursed as the last bit of water you had dried up when a bottle full of water was thrown in your hands. "Thirsty?" Karl joked as he entered the cabin.

"Very funny." You commented with a fake smile before taking a sip from the bottle. "How much longer to Austria? This trip is killing me..."

"We are close to the border if all these abandoned houses have anything to say, which is a good thing too." Karl placed a piece of paper on the table.

Your eyes widened as you read it. "They captured my parents?!"

"And will kill them if you don't return." Before Karl was finished you already grabbed your bag.

"I have to return."

"No," Karl grabbed you by the wrist before you could leave. "We can't turn away now, it would make everything we fought for void."

You glared at him. "And let my parents die?!"

"They are already dead!" Screamed Karl.

You stood silent in shock as Karl sighed. "Look...Alpha's are precious to these people, if your parents helped to hide you it meant they were destined to die the moment you were discovered. It's the law."

Collapsing on the ground you began to cry. "N-No, that can't be true...! That horrid Friedrich really couldn't get any worse could he?!"

Karl simply sat down next to you, holding you close as you continued to cry.

"They probably have hundreds of these papers lying around, best we move on and not let their deaths be in vain." He eventually said, causing you to let out a sniff before nodding. "Alright, I'll help you get up."

Just as you both stood back on your feet and left the cabin the sounds of hinny's and trampling hooves flew through the air, with fearful eyes you and Karl turned towards the once-empty farm where now a regiment of soldiers on horses started to approach your location, Prussian soldiers.

"Run." Karl voiced before grabbing you by the arm and running into the forest, ignoring the shouts of the soldiers for you to stop.

Karl let go of your hand as you entered the forest and gunshots started to laud through the air, the shrubbery and green only making you drive further apart from your friend as the soldiers kept the chase alive. You purposefully ran through prickly bushes and sharp branches not caring how much they hurt you just so you could lose the soldiers as you lost Karl.

As you reached a steep hill you did not think anymore and jumped, trying to muffle your pained noises once you hit the ground. Looking up just one soldier was looking over the hill, his horse calm. You hid under some bushes, keeping yourself silent and your body still until the soldier eventually turned around.

Sighing in relief you got back up when the sound of a gunshot broke your relief. "We got one!" You heard one soldier shout, you rushed towards the source of the voice and gunshot until you came upon a spot where Karl lay bleeding, you hid behind one of the trees as the cavalry converged upon him.

"So what do we have here? Another spy sent by the Austrians, why else would they run away from us?" The highest decorated soldier barked out as he jumped off his horse, making you hitch your breath as he gave a swift kick to Karl's face. "Well?!"

Karl simply spat on the ground. "The queen will prevail over you Prussian scum." He said, angering the soldiers and shocking you.

"Thought so, we got prisons full of fools like you." The soldier voiced before brandishing his gun, inspecting it before pointing it at Karl's head who remained passive. "And we don't need more."