CHAPTER 5: Riches and Cages Galore

The corset almost made you choke as the maids continued to tighten it, their efforts to pretty you up for your upcoming wedding seeming almost never-ending.

Wedding, that's right. The moment Friedrich had you in his hold he wasted no time to proclaim he would marry you soon, it shocked you with how prepared he was, almost like he had been planning it with your return.

Which wouldn't be such a crazy coincidence, you would curse Theresa's name if you could. The maids didn't like it when you swore, saying it was unladylike before reporting it to Friedrich for "future punishment", insisting on keeping it for later and not ruining this day of supposed celebration with any unhappy memories.

Didn't stop you from doing it mentally, frankly a part of you should've seen this coming. Theresa's attitude prior was already a big red flag, so her betrayal shouldn't have been as surprising. Still, being used as a bargaining chip just so Theresa could end the war for the keepsake of her throne hurt you deeply, still believing there was some kinship between fellow alphas.

As the maids finished your extravagant hairstyle one of them behind you gasped. "Greetings my liege." She said, presumably bowing as your personal devil had entered the room.

"She isn't ready but..." One of the other maids voiced before turning you around to be shown by Friedrich, his jaw opened before he quickly closed it as he approached you.

"My dear you are looking beautiful as ever," Friedrich said, restraining himself from hugging you and ruining the maids' hard work. "this will truly be a day we shall remember for years to come."

"I won't." You hissed with a defiant glare, the maids would gasp as Friedrich's small smile would fall.

"Ah yes, you must still be cranky from your trip. No worries, I will be sure to take good care of you and any quirks of yours once we are done with the pleasantries." Friedrich assured as he gently stroked your hair, careful not to mess it up before turning around. "Continue on with your duties ladies, my soon-to-be wife must look her best!"

The maids nodded as Friedrich left, closing the door as they were quick to work on you again regardless of how much you tried to resist them.

Eventually though everything seemed to be ready, a big puffy dress attached to you like a second skin, plenty of make-up on your face and some very high heels to finish it all. While the maids called you as beautiful as any lady could be (no doubt jumped up on their omega instincts) you only saw yourself as a giant doll when you looked inside the mirror.

The maids announced they would inform Friedrich before finishing up any leftover chores alongside welcoming guests as then the wedding could finally begin, all you cared for was that they finally left you alone or at least for a little while.

You slumped back onto a stool, almost falling off with how hard it was to move in the dress. As you let out a curse small tears started to fall out of your eyes as you desperately tried to catch them before they could ruin your makeup and throw you into another torture fest from the maids. But your mind kept drifting to how far you've fallen.

How you were betrayed in Austria, believing Theresa could help you and then foolishly believing her lies.

How you never saw your parents again ever since they sent you off, never properly saying goodbye before their presumed deaths. More tears started to fall out of you as you just wanted things to go back to the way they were, maybe even back to when you were a child and everything seemed right in the world. Cuddling up to your maman and papa while holding your favorite doll close, eagerly waiting for the next day where you would play or learn with them.