different ways to say i love you (1)

Start from the beginning

Usually, Jennie prides herself on being as rational and as well-balanced as possible, but she's running on very little sleep, she's stuck in the middle of nowhere, miles away from home and it's almost three o'clock in the morning, so before she can stop herself, her shoulders are shaking and she's sobbing onto her hands.

She gathers herself together just enough to pull her phone out of her pocket and make a call to the only person she wants to see.

"Nini, you okay?" Her voice is low and sleepy, and all at once Jennie feels guilty – about bothering her at this time and about being angry at her. She can feel tears in her eyes again and she brushes them away furiously, because she is Jennie Kim, for goodness sake.

She explains to her what happened, and as she does she can feel something in her throat, and curses herself for letting herself get in such a state. She expects Lisa to sigh or to moan a little about the trouble.

She doesn't.

"Stay there, I'm coming to get you," she says, her voice more alert than before.

Jennie smiles a little as she ends the call and tucks her legs up onto the seat, wrapping her arms around them, letting her eyes fall shut. She's woken up half an hour later, when she hears tapping on her window.

It's Lisa, her brown eyes sparkling as she smiles down at her.

"Hey, sleepyhead," she says, as she opens the door. "You okay?"

She nods and accepts her hand, resting her head onto her shoulder. "Sorry," she mumbles.

Lisa waves it off. "Happens to the best of us."

They get into Lisa's car, and Jennie curls up into the passenger seat, her shoulders hunched, half embarrassed about crying and half too tired to care.

"Sorry," she says again. "Sorry, I woke you up. You didn't have to come all the way out here."

"Don't be silly," Lisa says.

They don't really talk much more, Jennie's exhausted and can barely put two words together. As Lisa drives, Jennie watches her out of the corner of eye, the clock on the dashboard lighting up his face.

All at once, the conversation that she'd had with Chahee floods back to her, and the words 'Stay there, I'm coming to get you,' start to repeat through her head.

In the morning, when they've returned to her car, filled it with petrol and Jennie's driving home, she resolves to be more observant.

~~

When Jennie gets to the door, she groans.

She's been hidden away in the library again, way off into the silent section where there were very few windows. She's been going slightly crazy at the sound of silence, and she had no idea that outside the heavens had opened, sending down a torrent of rain of the likes that could turn the whole university campus into a lake.

She had not factored the weather in when she'd got dressed this morning, and with a quick glance down at the jumper, skirt and tights combination, she sighs as she realises that she's so not prepared to go out in this weather. She'd braided her hair so nicely today as well. And she's supposed to be going on a date with Lisa. Who wants to sit across from someone who looks like a drowned rat?

She hovers in the doorway, two seconds away from gritting her teeth and running out into the horrible weather, when someone outside calls her name, running towards her.

Lisa rushes into the door, dripping onto the library floor.

"Hey," Jennie says, unable to stop the smile from spreading across her face. "What are you doing here? I thought we were meeting in town?"