One-- Hate the Day

"When you are a kid, you are a prodigy. When you reach fifteen, you are a genius. But by the time you are finally an adult, everyone only sees you as justt another ordinary person."

-Haruka Nanase from Free!

Chapter 1

MAVIS

I looked up at the crowd of girls gathering at the corridor from the bench of where I was sitting. Almost every single student had their own homemade chocolates in their hands and were exhilarated to give away what they have to the ones they adore. I dislike hearing the word 'love' or terms relating to that word, or seeing anyone engage in stuff relating to that word because it just...disgusts me. They anticipated for this day since, and expected it to be the best time of every school year.

Well, except me.

Chocolates meant something that everyone knows, obviously. But I'm just sitting here, simply waiting for the time my name is to be called out through the school speakers. I seriously am not the kind of girl that screams and blushes furiously every time she sees her crush go by. I just don't want to count myself as one girl who enjoys excitement too much. It's not that I am boring...

I just hate feeling these tingly emotions.

"Miss Mavis Yu, please proceed to the faculty room. I repeat, Miss Yu, please proceed to the faculty room immediately." My name burst out through the pagers, signaling my 'glorious' entrance into the very room of which was to be my place of purgatory.

"Miss Yu?" Sir Santos who paged my name came out of the faculty room, "Ms. Garcia wants to talk to you inside."

I grunt lowly and stood up lazily, not excited about the very fact about the she-devil of a teacher who unfortunately wants to discuss about my unimpressive grades about the subject I dread the most.

"Yes, sir." I followed him very meekly inside the office, as if I was not aware I would see hell on earth again. As I came inside, my adviser, wearing her bimbo-like, trademark, sleek red dress that lusciously hugged her curves, crossed her legs upon her chair and tutted at me loudly, crossing her arms just below her breasts, giving more emphasis to it, and smirked, her lips swabbed with her favorite rogue lipstick.

"There you are! I've been waiting for you", she coated the clearly disgusted look on her eyes with a smile that seemed brighter than the sun, sweeter than honey, it left me with an anxious feeling. She then swapped a small folder into my hands, the texture almost unbelievably as smooth as velvet, it almost fell to the floor if it were not for my calm yet intuitive reflex. "I have to give you your report card. I need the signature of your parents, and when you do get it, bring it back to me."

"Yes, ma'am."

She clasped her hands and continued, her gaze almost burning a hole through me, if it were not for me challenging her with my eyes. "Well, all tell-tales aside, your grades showed that you seemed to be pretty bad in Math."

"I know." I replied nonchalantly as I bowed in front of her in sheer mockery, "I'm really sorry, ma'am. I'll try my best this time."

She let out a long sigh and said, "You're so stiff as usual, Mavis."

I just quietly stared at her. I don't know how to reply that.

"And still a girl with few words, huh?" she mockingly laughs, "What? Don't want to waste your precious energy talking?"

I didn't respond to that either. Not even a single twitch in my body. But I had this burning feeling inside of me wanting to slap the hell out of the woman. I always did. But I didn't. I would rather have my dignity kempt.