Chapter 1: New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

...

Y/N and Ruby knocked on the door to the Branwen house excitedly. Well, Ruby was. Y/N kinda just had his hands in his pockets, a little annoyed he was woken up at three. Raven answered.

"... Ah, they're getting ready. Yang! Vao! Get down here!"

"I don't wanna!" Yang's high pitched cry came from deeper within the house. She sounded like she was crying. Raven closed the door, reappearing with the siblings in tow in a matter of seconds. Ruby gasped at the sight, and Y/N burst out laughing.

Yang had her hair cut to her shoulders as punishment for the night before, but what made Y/N laugh the hardest was Vao. His brother was placed into the girls' uniform for his school. "Vao, I didn't know I had three sisters!" He said between laughs. Vao snickered, striking a pose.

"Am I cute?"

"It's not a punishment if you enjoy it," Raven growled. Vao ignored her and kept posing, waiting for Y/N to take a picture. That only got him a smack on the back of the head.

"Why does Vao get to have a fun punishment!?" Yang bawled.

"Because your brother is ten years old and can't read," Raven answered.

"Hah!? I can read!"

Wait for it...

"You struggled with Pumpkin Pete and friends..." Ruby muttered. Before Vao could answer, a yellow school bus zoomed past. Y/N's eyes widened in terror. "Crap! We missed the bus!" He cried. Vao looked horrified.

"You want me to run around town in a dress!?"

But his fuming mother was enough to send all four of them sprinting down the street. Ruby had already unlocked her Semblance... The same couldn't be said about the other three. They lagged behind, Yang ahead of them.

"C'mon, guys! We're gonna be late!" She called back to them. Y/N panted heavily.

"Says... The one who... Goes for a freaking run every morning...."

Suddenly Qrow zoomed by, Vao riding on his shoulders. The little delinquent had his uncles's flask tied to a stick, dangling it just out of the older man's reach. As they passed, Vao flashed his signature shit-eating grin and waved at them. Y/N growled angrily.

"Vao, you little sneak!"

"Says the one who's gonna be late!"

Y/N growled, trying to push himself harder. But he wasn't getting past Yang, and she wasn't catching Qrow.

By the time they caught up to them, Vao was being yelled at by a teacher for utilizing human transport.

...

Bbbbbrrrrriiiiing!

The sound of the bell echoed through Signal Academy, allowing students to be free from math class. Y/N sighed, closing his textbook. "Ugh... I hate surprise tests... Right, Vao? Vao!" He slapped the back of his brother's neck, waking him from his sleep. "You were sleeping this whole time!?"

Vao rubbed his eyes, glaring at his younger brother angrily. "Yeah, I was. Is there a problem?"

"Yeah," Y/N hissed. "What's ten plus thirteen?"

"I don't have that many fingers."

Yang and Ruby listened to Y/N berate Vao from the doorway, waiting for their brothers to join them for lunch. Yang snickered. "I can't believe he fell asleep in class..." Ruby looked at her in disappointment.

"Yang, you fell asleep when the principal was yelling at you..."

The blonde turned bright red, her face twisting in embarrassment. But before she could reply, she was saved when Y/N stormed out of the class, dragging a beaten up Vao with him. He smiled, as if he didn't just commit war crimes against his older brother. "Hey, guys. You ready for lunch?"