Chapter 4

Enjoy! *I don't own these Characters*

Minho comes in, followed closely by Gally. "I'll leave you two slintheads to it," he says. Everyone slowly walks out of the room. "What do ya want me here for?" Gally demands. I really don't like Gally. He was fine up until he went through the changing. "I want to know what you saw," I ask calmly. Gally's eyes widen. "It was horrible," he says. "Crazy people running around. Killing each other. Eating each other. Dropping dead like flies." I nod. "Anything else?"
"A boy and a girl. Building the maze. It's their fails we're here." Teresa and Thomas.

That night, I wonder why putting us in a maze will help the creators cure the flare. I missed some crucial information when I went through the changing.

I dream I'm back in WICKED. Teresa's telling me the basic outline of how the maze works. Every night, the maze changes. The changes spell out a code, which will be discovered after Teresa triggers the ending. It'll be decoded by studying the maze patterns. But not like we've been studying them for years. The sections must be put together, and a letter will form in the middle.

My eyes flick open. I glance at my watch. 2:37 am. That should be enough time to get a good lead on the code before I have to run. I walk into the map room, and pull out all the maps from the very first day we ran. Mine's right at the top. Y/N. Day one. Section one. Next to it is Minho's. Minho. Day one. Section two. I spread them all out on the floor, lying each section in the way they lie around the glade. And there, in the very middle, is the first letter. An F. As I keep going, day by day, I eventually find the first word. Float. Then Catch. I'm partway through the third word when suddenly, my body moves it's self. I start to jerk uncontrollably. Your not supposed to solve the maze yet, says a voice in my head. We're not ready. I watch myself pull matches out of my pocket and set fire to the maps from the first month. All of it, gone. And then I feel the memories slipping away from my mind like water. And them my vision goes black and I slump on the floor, the maps slipping from my hands and setting fire to the floor.

NEWT'S POV
I wake up to the map room blazing, and Y/N's sleeping bag empty on the floor. Did she set the map room on fire? An then an even worse thought crosses my mind. Did she get caught in that fire? Quickly, I shake Minho awake. "Minho!" I hiss into his ear. "Get your bloody little shuck ass out of bed. The map room's on fire and Y/N is gone!" Minho jerks awake. "WHAT?" he cries, almost a little too loudly. "Not so bloody loud! You'll wake the others!" Minho turns in the hose we use for watering the gardens and lugs it towards the map room. He sprays out the fire, and we rush in. Y/N lies in the middle of the room. Her arm's half burned off. Ugly, blistered burns scorch her face. Breathing hard, I press my hand to her chest. Her heart is still. "No!" I cry. I can't loose another friend. Especially not Y/N. Not my best friend. "Y/N! Please wake up. Please, please, please!" I shake her stiff body willing her to jerk awake. But I know that there's no bloody way she could've survived. Tears pour down my face, and Minho lets out a choked, dry sob. Our best friend is dead. The only one to ever survive a night in the maze is dead. She's never coming back.

Comment your opinion below!