Chapter 2

*I don't own any of these characters*

As I run, I realize I'm in big trouble. Bigger than I thought. I've been running the maze ever since we first arrived in the box. Me, the only girl, and Minho were the very first runners. I've run so many sequences, I know this part of the maze so well. And the path I'm running is about to close off. If I'm fast enough, I can make it out. If I'm not, I'm stuck in this section for a week, with only grievers for company.

I've already tried my luck with being fast enough, and look how well that worked. So instead, I double back, praying that the Griever isn't around the corner.

It isn't. I'm fine for now. I start jogging down the passage opposite to the one I just ran down. It branches out into three paths after about two minutes. I take the left, the same one I took this morning. If I stick far enough to the left, I should be able to make it back to the glade, assuming I survive, without getting trapped.

I run for another five minutes before stopping, my throat so dry it hurts to breathe. Don't panic, I tell myself. Keep your head. If you panic, you die. Keep your shit together.

Just as I finally catch my breath, a beetle blade scuttles past my legs. Uh oh. If the beetle blades know I'm here, it's only a matter of time before the grievers locate me. I start to panic, but force myself to calm down. Take deep breaths.

Out of nowhere a Griever appears. I won't have time to outrun it. It's too fast. My breaths quicken, my heart pounding. I wonder if they can climb. It's my only chance. If it works, then I'll live. And if it doesn't, it's not like it matters. There's no other way to escape.

Five more grievers come around the corner. I swallow, taking a deep breath. Then I climb. I use the vines to pull myself up, never once looking down. Eventually I decide I'm high enough. I glance down. My stomach lurches with fear. Not only am I so high above the ground it seems like an endless fall, the grievers have started to climb the walls.

Stay calm. Focus. Just get away from the grievers. I start to move sideways along the walls, inching ever so slightly upwards with each step. Eventually, I'm far away enough from the grievers. I slide down the vines. The grievers haven't noticed me yet, but it's only a matter of time. I sprint as fast as I can towards the doors. If I do get stung, it would be better to be in front of the doors. That way, if it's not to long, they can find me and I can take the grief serum before it's too late.

I'm almost at the doors. I can hear the whir click of the grievers. I glance behind me. They're practically on top of me. And then a sharp stinging feeling in the back of my neck, and my world goes dark.

That's chapter two! Please comment your opinion below!