Chapter 1

*I don't own any of these characters. They belong to James Dashner*

A night in the maze

The Griever still on my tail, I sprint full speed for the doors. But because of all the grievers blocking my path back to the glade, I had to take a long detour. I'm late. Too late. If I run fast enough, will I be able to make it? The doors come into view. They are almost closed. I'm so tired, but I run like I've never run before. I see the anxious faces of the gladers on the other side of the wall. Fifteen feet away. Ten. Nine. Eight. The gap between the doors gets smaller and smaller every second. The gladers scream in encouragement. The doors slam shut. I didn't make it. A sinking feeling of dread fills my stomach. At least the Griever is no longer behind me. Thank the gods.

I collapse. Panting, I slide down the wall. My water's gone. Not even a drop left. I'm also hungry. My stomach growls at the thought of food. Don't think of that, I tell myself sternly. Just focus on getting through the night.

In the distance, I hear the whir click of the grievers, sending a chill down my spine. My breaths start to even. I need a strategy to survive. A way to fight the grievers. Or at least stay away from them. What the shuck am I going to do?

I stand, undisturbed by the doors for hours. And then they come for me. Ten, at least. Whirring and clicking. Rolling strait at me. My heart pounds so hard in my chest I can feel it everywhere. My ears. My fingertips. My toes. Without thinking, I take off down the path behind me.