1.4

Finding the soul was a bit harder than expected. The dang thing kept moving around the stern of the Dutchman. Every time I got closer, the bugger disappeared. I was definitely going to make it walk the plank, if the soul could still walk after I blew their kneecaps off. That sounded like a great plan to me. I left Maccus in charge above deck to finish preparations while I chased the annoying bugger. 

This would give me a chance to properly see the ship with my own two eyes. I ran through the lower decks as well as the ship's brig. A lot of body's attached to the walls were down there. Dad always told me to never run with scissors, good thing he didn't say anything about swords. I closed my eyes as I ran. The Dutchman could help me. 

There! I almost tripped but I cornered the soul, the Dutchman trapping it near the stern. I ran as fast as I could, sword in hand, and walked through a door, only for a sword to be placed at my neck as soon as I walked in. 

"You should know better than anyone that you won't be able to do anything to me." I said instinctively. I took a step forward allowing the sword to graze my throat and pointed my own blade at it. 

"Yo-You are the captain?" Said masculine voice with an English accent. I stared at the soul's form. The soul was a man, younger than Dad, wearing some kind of uniform that looked like it was in fashion a few centuries ago. An elegant tricorn sat on top of his head, along with a snow white wig. He was handsome, and still holding a sword that looked a bit similar to mines, albeit with less barnacles. He also seemed a bit see through, and wispy. 

"The Dutchman must always have a captain." I stared into his eyes while he looked at me in shock. He stared at me for a few seconds and lowered his sword. The Soul was much taller than myself.  

"You look just like her…" He said slowly. What? Did he know me? He mumbled a name under his breath, Elizasomething. 

"Who are you?" I demanded, keeping my blade aimed at him. Who did he think he was to threaten me on my own ship! Ogilvey was going to be missing some guns when I was done with this foolish soul. I was going to break some knees with some lead.  

The soul took off his tricorn and bowed his head slightly, holding the tricorn over where his heart should be. 

"I am Admiral James Norrington. A pleasure to meet you." 

Who?

-*-

As it turned out, Davy Jones killed Norrington when he helped my Great-Grandmother escape the Flying Dutchman. Since he died at sea, his soul was left here since Jonesy didn't want to do his job. Great-Grandpa offered to take him to the otherside once he was the captain, but Norrington refused, wanting to watch over Great-Grandma's descendants. The poor fool was in love. Some job he did. He got stuck on the ship when Henry Turner released the curse and the Dutchman returned to the locker. So he decided to haunt what remained of the crew for playing a part in his early death. 

This sounded too complicated in my opinion. Over the centuries, he took it upon himself to haunt my ghost ship. 

"So want to move on? Pass on to the other side?" We were in my quarters now. The others were waiting for my command to set sail. 

Norrington shook his head. "No. I failed in protecting Elizabeth's descendants, I won't fail now." Great, an undead bodyguard to go along with my fishmen. I glanced at my left hand. It was already starting to slowly turn green. That didn't look so good. 

"Fine. On one condition though." I said with a sigh. 

Norrington stared at me expectantly. I glared back at him. 

"Teach me how to use a sword." How was I going to be the captain of a literal pirate ship that guided the dead to the otherside without knowing how to properly use a sword? Norrington seemed to think about it for a moment and nodded. 

"You have a deal." He extended his hand, looking exactly like some ghost. I stared at his hand. Calypso said that binding the dying was easier than souls. I mean, how hard could it be? I could practice right here with James. 

I took his hand, and he became solid. 

Sadly, I didn't know what happened next since I blacked out. 

-*-

When I woke up again, I felt barnacle covered bed sheets. Why did everything have to be covered in barnacles? Groaning, I sat up slowly. I had company too. The four fishmen plus Norrington were all staring at me. Totally not creepy at all. I rubbed my forehead and glared at them. 

"What happened?" I rubbed the bridge of my nose. 

"Binding souls to the Dutchman is much more...complicated than the dying." Maccus said. Of course he would know. "It's especially complicated if you have not binded others before." Well that explained why it felt like someone dropped an anchor on me. 

I threw my legs over the bed's edge, and stood up, my legs wobbly. Norrington moved to help me stand, but I waved him off. I needed to give them all positions before we gathered the first of the crew. 

"Maccus, I'm appointing you as the first mate." Norrington seemed a bit disappointed, but I ignored him. "Ogilvey can continue as the head gunner. Crash, can you be the quartermaster?" 

Crashes looked at his hands, counted to ten with them and nodded. I turned to Palifico. 

"Can you be the navigator?" 

"Aye Captin." 

That left Norrington left. 

"Norrington, you can be the boatswain." 

He smiled at me and saluted. Stop being so attractive! Even with that ugly wig on his head. 

"Alright, get this ship moving. I got places to be, souls to guide and booty to plunder." They all gave me weird looks with that last one, but did what I told them. 

"Are you coming Captain?" Norrington asked just outside of my door. 

"In a minute." He smiled and left, closing the door behind him. I sighed again and fell back on the bed. It was hard work being the grim reaper of the seas, and I havent even started gathering souls yet! 

After a few minutes, I got back up again. I gave the coral flute one last look before placing it in my pocket. I'll have the rest of eternity to practice with it. 

Soon, I was standing next to Palifico as he held Dutchman's steering wheel with Norrington and Maccus standing to the other side. 

"Give the word Captin." Maccus said with a grin. Well he seemed eager. 

"Full speed ahead, towards the African coast."  

The Dutchman immediately rushed forward and angled down towards the water. The water felt refreshing as we submerged. 

I wished I had noticed the pain in my right arm. 

A/N

Yeah, Taylor's gonna turn more pirate like later. Pillaging and revenge stuff. 

James Norrington, who would have thought? Kudos to the one person on AO3 who guessed it. Don't worry, I will confirm that Jack and two maybe three certain someones are alive and well. Well, mostly. 

That's all you'll get out of me for now though. 

Wow! Over 1,000 watchers with just three chapters when it happened on Space Battles! Thank you to all of my lovely readers.