1.2

Have you ever heard of the saying, 'You tore my heart out' before? Before today, I never thought I would have taken that literally. I had never felt this type of pain. Cutting out my own heart, hurt way more than Sophia hitting me. I gently placed my beating heart into the chest. 

I never felt better. Surprisingly, I was still alive. Closing the chest, I locked it with the fancy key. I wiped the blade on my hoodie's sleeve. Oh, in my haste I had sliced right into the middle, leaving my bare chest open. 

"Ahh! Don't look!" I quickly turned away from Calypso who seemed focused on the chest. I'm so stupid. I should have taken off my hoodie and shirt. 

"You acts like we is not both female." Calypso said dryly. I blushed softly and looked at her. "I has lived since the beginning of this world, and I shall be here long afta. I have seen many bodies clothed or not." Calypso pulled the key from the keyhole and placed it in my hand. "Guard or hide dis key with your life. You may be immortal-" She poked my already healing scar. "But whoever stabs you through the heart, will kill you." So hide the chest with my heart. 

I nodded slowly. She stood up and smiled at me. "Alas, what is a captain without her ship?" Calypso snapped her fingers, and that was when I felt it. A familiar, yet foreign presence. Something erupted from below the water, dowsing us both in surprisingly refreshing seawater. "The Flying Dutchman is yours." 

Mom had read me plenty of stories when I was younger, with some of them detailing stories about the famous ghost ship. It looked nothing like I imagined. 

The bow of the ship looked like the mouth of a monstrous sea creature, with objects that looked like teeth. It had three main masts, with sails that looked like they were made of seaweed. The sides of the ship had openings for I assumed were cannons, that looked like creatures screaming their battlecry. 

It was huge and gorgeous. I stared at the ship in shock. It wasn't just any ship, it was mine now. Calypso stood next to me as I admired it. 

"Of course, every captain needs a crew. Your ancestor Henry Turner freed his father William Turner from his curse of being its captain." Calypso said with disgust. "He never shoulda meddled with matters beyond him. Still, a few members of ole Davy Jones and Turner's crew should be on board." She flashed Taylor a grin which made her feel uneasy. "If they haven't become one with da Dutchman of course." 

I kept staring at the ship, and angled my head towards Calypso. 

"Why does it look so...old?" 

Calypso giggled at that. "Don't worry, love. She might look old, but da Dutchman is fasta than any of ya modern ships. It's guns should also be more than a match for any opponent in ya way." She paused to rub the head of a crab that climbed up her dress and onto the chest. "The more souls ya help guide da stronger da Dutchman becomes. She'll adapt to how the world is, and become strongah."  

That was...actually helpful to know. 

"Come come. Let's see if anyone is home." Calypso cackled. 

Yeah...let's do that. Right after I fix the angle of my hoodie. 

-*-

The Dutchman felt empty and in need of a crew. It looked like and felt like the sea. Barnacles and other sea creatures covered the ship. I almost tripped over a cannon sadly, which led to Calypso laughing at me for a few minutes. 

"Part of the ship, part of the crew." Whispers started to infiltrate my ears. 

"Part of the ship, part of the crew." The whispers remained in the background, repeating the phrase.