┊viii. eight

ᴄʜᴏᴏꜱᴇ ᴀ ꜰɪʟᴇ:

➤- ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8 "What came after"

- ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ ꜱʟᴏᴛ 2

- ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ ꜱʟᴏᴛ 3

ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ... 

"Rui, is everything alright?"

The closest place you could think of bringing Rui was the village. By the time you had reached its entrance, the sun was threatening to shine its light on you. In panic, you had hurriedly gotten inside the nearest house and tried to cover all the openings that could've let the sunlight in, leaving forgotten the cracks on the old wooden door that stood at the entrance of the abandoned house. 

The fight had left you both so exhausted that you expected to just pass the day looking after your unconscious brother, and instead here you were, interrogating him after he woke up with a  jolt claiming he had felt a sudden burn in his eye.

"I can't see very well from my left eye...it's all blurry" You hear him hiss as he covers his eye with his hand, and you swear he would claw his eye out at any moment with the way he twiched in pain. At first, you had thought there was something in the house that made him react like this, but after thorough searching, you could certainly say it had to be something else.

"Did they do something to your eyes while you were fighting?" you grab his hand and gently move it aside to have a better look at his face while he still keeps his eyes closed.

'I don't see any external damage, he should've healed by now'  You continue to examine his face as you tilt it upward. "Did you get in direct contact with Wisteria by any chance? The people I've met carry some with them..."

He slowly opens his eyes as he answers "No. I didn't smell any."

You hum as you continue your inspection of his now-open eyes. A small gasp left your lips as your eyes widened at the sight.

"Rui, your eye..."

The words remained stuck in your throat, finding it difficult how to express in words what you were seeing.

Were once was supposed to be a kanji that stated his rank in the twelve moons, now was nothing but a blank spot. His dotted pupil was completely absent as his white iris seemed to have taken a light blue color. He had heterochromatic eyes now.

You blink, trying to formulate the best way to explain the cause of your silence.

"...Rui, did you notice that your lower moon mark is...well...gone?"

His mouth slightly opens, but no words come out as he stares at you wide-eyed.

"So you're telling me that you didn't notice any difference until now?" You question your brother as you feel the sudden urge to sit down.