┊i. one

ᴄʜᴏᴏꜱᴇ ᴀ ꜰɪʟᴇ:

➤- ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1 "ᴛʜᴇ ꜱɪʙʟɪɴɢꜱ"
- ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ ꜱʟᴏᴛ 2
- ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ ꜱʟᴏᴛ 3

ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ...

It was oddly quiet that night. The familiar sound of swords clashing together was instead replaced by a melody coming from above a tree. It was the hum of a girl that was seated on one of the plants' branches as she was playing with the hair of a younger demon.

Her voice was the same he used to cherish when he was a child, it was the same he hoped to hear every time he woke up, and it was also the same he hoped to hear when he would take his last breath.

That hope and that dream would've turned into reality if it wasn't for him. A man who offered a mere child the solution to all his problems. A solution that had to be paid with his humanity.

It's been years since the blood of his parents stained his hands, yet he didn't remember all that. What he did remember was him offering his sister his own blood. The girl wasn't afraid of him, she didn't feel disgusted at the sight of the demon, she just...pitied him.

That night the girl made a promise. The promise of protecting him at the cost of her own life being taken away...

 -🕷 -

The silk-like hair of the boy was cold to the touch, you could hear his soft breathing as his head was laid on top of your chest. You were still humming, hoping to keep him relaxed. It's been quite a while since you two spent time together, and out of all the family only you had the courage to hold him like this. Of course, it's not as if Rui would've allowed anyone to do that.

It would've been only you.

You still mourn the memory of when you used to hug him and tell him stories in the familiarity of your home. When he would interrupt you with a brief yawn or a curious question. Or when he would complain about not being able to go play with the kids he saw the other day. You were always there for him, trying to make the best out of the time you spent together. Sometimes you would be making flower crowns for each other near a river in your village, and one time Rui even brought you a wisteria flower crown saying that it would keep you safe by driving the evil away.

You could say it partially worked...for you weren't the one who was approached by that monster your race dared to call 'lord'.

Living as a demon had not been as bad as you expect it to be. You had done horrible things, but at the same time, you were able to learn, grow, and most importantly: see your brother live. 

Despite all of this sometimes you couldn't help but wish you could go back in time. You were going to be a doctor. That's what you told yourself. You were going to be a doctor and help your brother, hell, maybe even help people who were in the same situation. You still can't count the nights you spent awake, enduring the torture of hearing your own little brother cry, vomit, wheeze, and gasp for air because he had stayed a second too long outside, a second too long up to his feet. Your parents were always there to help him, but what could a simple family like you do? You were not poor, but also not wealthy enough to afford medicines that could help him. So you spent your hours reading. Reading every book you could find in your house, studying every book that you managed to borrow from the kind people of your village. Hoping that you could learn something, anything, that would give your little brother some kind of relief.

But even after all of your efforts...what could a seventeen-year-old do against a demon that has risen from hell?

"...Rui" you whisper, not wanting to startle him.

The male's gaze met your own, almost as if softly giving you permission to speak.

"I know this might seem so ...sudden, but...have you ever thought of turning human again?" His body tensing under your touch was all the answer you needed.

"...No matter if I wanted to, I have no memory nor desire for such a life. " Cold and straightforward as always. He had changed over the few past decades. And yet, even with his careless words towards you, one thing remained: the silent connection of trust and love toward the only real family he had left.

You picked up a strand of his white-snow hair, a clear contrast to the pitch-black ones he was born with. Even with such a radical change, both in his behavior and appearance, you couldn't bring yourself to view him differently, for he, was still your little brother.

You hum and adjust your position against the tree branch. He did not smile nor talk that much, but he did show his hidden affection by keeping you close. The lullaby stops as you feel him hugging you tighter. You reciprocate his actions and wrap both of your arms around him. You can almost hear his whimpers. He implied he wouldn't leave this type of life behind, but you know it was far from the truth.

"Don't worry Rui, I'm here and I will not go anywhere without you."

.

.

.

.

.

.

Blood drips down your clawed hands, the taste of flesh and metal still in your mouth, your eyes almost glowing as you look at your lifeless prey. You did not like being a demon. But it gave you the power to protect your brother from filthy humans. And even if you didn't kill for the fun of it, you are more than willing to kill for his sake.

"After all, I did promise to protect you."

ᴇɴᴅ ᴏꜰ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ...

...ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛᴏ ꜱᴀᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴘʀᴏɢʀᴇꜱꜱ?

➤-ʏᴇꜱ 

-ɴᴏ

ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ...ꜱᴀᴠɪɴɢ ᴄᴏᴍᴘʟᴇᴛᴇ

<1001>  words