┊0. Zero

"Why do you even like stars so much?"

You took your time admiring the trails of sparkling light that coated the night sky before turning to look at the silver-haired demon that leaned against the door frame. She was looking at you with an eyebrow raised, having seen you like this times and times again.

"And why is it that you wish to know?" 

Her shoulders tense at the question, your tone bringing a chill down her spine. 

"Ahh- I was just ...curious, that's all." She was always so careful with her words, mumbling and stuttering every time she was unsure of what to say.  She even paid utmost attention to the tone of your voice in case she angered you or made you sad. 

She always knew better than to do that.

"It's fine, sister." You tap the spot next to you, lingering on the feeling of the old wooden pavement as you invite her to come forward. "I'll tell you if you come sit with me." 

She smiles and even if hesitantly she nods, rushing to follow your command as she lowers herself to sit by your side. 

Some time passes in silence as you continue to just observe the sky, not bothering to interrupt the silence, hoping to leave the job to your supposed older 'sister'. 

"I have noticed that when we finish patrolling you either go to see Rui or come here to watch the stars. I just don't understand why you don't go do something else..."

Something else?

"What is there to do in a place like this?"

"I-I don't know. But wouldn't you like to do anything else besides...this?" She points at the open window and notices how you have yet to turn your gaze away from it.

You blink at the strange observation. Lowering your head as you stare at the red prints on your silk kimono.

Would you even like to do something else?

"I...I think I used to do this even when I was still human "

You remember vividly the nights you spent on the wooden Engawa of your home watching the sky. You would usually be alone, but there were times where your younger brother would keep you company and lay his head on your lap. You would gently ask him why he was not in his room, explaining to him why he needed to sleep, but despite your scolding, he would stay with you, saying how it would be sad to leave his dear sister alone. You enjoyed these moments from the time you sat down to the moment your mom would call you to come inside, scolding the both of you for not going to sleep the first time she had called you a few moments prior.

You have always missed the old days... the happy ones.

"Do you...not get tired at all?" She questions you, putting aside her hesitation and letting curiosity get the best of her. 

"About what?"

"About everything. You were the first one of us, don't you wish you could somehow live in a different way?" 

You hum in thought, letting your eyes close for a brief moment before holding your gaze up to glance at the sky through the window.

"I know that my fate is to stay here with him. Even if there had been a chance of a new life, I don't think that my path will stray too far from its original plan. I promised to maintain what I declared long ago, even if these are vows only I know of." 

You briefly recall the night your fate had been sealed to the heavens, the events leaving a deep scar in your heart and soul. Bounding you like firm chains to the place you were now. 

"...I guess I am tired after all."

A light sigh leaves the lips of the figure beside you. "Don't worry, I am too..."

A mutual silence closes the conversation, nature interrupting soon after as the sound of birds chirping recovers your attention.

Glancing at the mesmerizing sky one more time you take notice of the fading lilac color the stars were drowning in "In a few minutes the Sun will rise, you should wait in the other room while I cover the windows" Getting up you take a hold of the cotton blanket that was barely hanging by splinters and falling pieces of the wall.

"Ok, I will wait for you with Mother then" Soon enough you were left alone in the old and decaying room.

You stare at the purple sky, the sound of fading footsteps leaving you in silence. 

Why were you so mesmerized by the sky though?

That was a question that you could barely answer.

Was it because your brother also liked it? You might've been influenced by that. But that single emotion that you felt when staring into that deep sea in the sky was something else, and every time you longed to feel that warm sensation pervade your body again, and again... 

It made you nostalgic.

Welcome 

ᴍᴀʏ ɪ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ʏᴏᴜʀ ɴᴀᴍᴇ?

- ©°$=

➣- (ʏ/ɴ)

-¶×¥{

ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ . . .

✎(ʏ/ɴ). . .ɴɪᴄᴇ ɴᴀᴍᴇ

✎ᴘʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ ᴇɴᴊᴏʏ ʏᴏᴜʀ ꜱᴛᴀʏ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴘɪᴅᴇʀ ꜰᴀᴍɪʟʏ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ

. . . ɢᴏᴏᴅ ʟᴜᴄᴋ . . .

<870> words