Chapter 74: We have an impostor among us

***
Arnook goes to his new residence, which used to be an empty house, he had lost his palace, and now had to live in such small quarters with only two bedrooms, but he didn't mind.

His mind was heavy with the decision he will have to make tomorrow, and as he stared into the horizon, he saw the sun rising. A new day was already to come about, and the anxiety in his heart kept rising. "And just like that, a new day comes about." 

It was a beautiful sunrise that brought him a sense of damnation. No soldiers have clashed, yet the Fire Nation destroying the Northern Water Tribe felt inevitable, discouraging the higher-ups. At least the people that weren't in high places had no idea what was happening and they still hadn't had their hopes crushed yet.

Arnook took a plate of food towards his daughter's room and knocked. "Yue, breakfast is here. Come out and eat."

She hadn't eaten anything since yesterday, and that worried him like any parent would feel concerned for their child starving. 

Surprisingly, Yue came out, her eyes were bloodshot as if she had cried all night. Arnook didn't know what to say or do, once again he was caught between a rock and a hard place. He could see that his daughter needed all of his attention. As a parent, it was his duty to be with her.

Yue gazed at her father and smiled gently. "Don't worry, I am not hurt or anything."

Arnook's heart clenched, once again his duties as a father and a leader clashed. But he could do nothing but smile. "Yue, I will always love you. You're my daughter. If you ever need anything, tell me."

Yue, like always, her kindness shone through as she smiled. "I am fine, father, I was just tired after the events of yesterday. Sokka also offered help, he is kind."

Hearing Sokka's name, made Arnook frown for a split second, but he came to his senses quickly, as he didn't want his daughter to see this side of him. 

"Father, if you ever can, please help Sokka too, he is a kind guy," requested Yue, with a strange, but satisfied smile on her face.

Arnook sighed, once again, his conflicting feelings just continued getting more complicated. 

'What do I do? This situation... I have no experience in dealing with it.'

***
After around eight hours, as midday came about, many catapult shots were launched by the Fire Nation, shooting giant clumps of earth covered in flames.

Just like before, Sokka, Arnook, Pakku, and the other Elders were here. Amongst them, Sokka seemed the most relaxed. He even yawned, which annoyed quite some Elders. But by now, their relationship was already bad, so Sokka no longer had a reason to bother being polite to them.

Arnook wasn't the only one who had thought about some things last night, everyone here had their agenda. Each of them had a general plan of what they wanted from this meeting and would end up satisfied if they didn't get it. 

Everyone awaited the Chieftain's decision. Arnook could feel the gazes on him. "I have decided on a plan. Sokka, you are a smart young man, and I am thankful for everything you have done. After this war is finished, you can ask me for one favour and I will do my best to accommodate your request. Even though you're young, your intelligence knows no bounds."

The Elders started frowning, seeing their leader complimenting Sokka so much made them suspicious of Arnook and what he was going to choose.

"I have thought it through a lot, and in the end, my decision is..." he paused, and sighed. "To follow Sokka's plan, it was nothing short of genius and he was the one that came up with it."