Chapter 4: Rebellion

I made my way out of the driveway. I couldn't risk taking his car, because then he would try to find me. My only option, as always, was to walk.

My mind went back to the times Monica, Beth, and I would walk through the cafeteria with our trays, and I would hear the passing rumors of the street fighting ring secretly run in the back of the blockbuster video store.

Where all the 'cool kids' would go after school to watch or fight. That's where I needed to go. The stories also mentioned one person. I only heard their ring name once. Thorn. These people treated him like royalty. Someone who couldn't be touched.

If the rumors were even remotely true, that's who I needed to meet. I began walking to the Dave's Blockbuster's.

Once I got there my ribs were hurting again from last night. I ignored the pain and pushed through the door. There was a man sleeping at the counter, and no one else in sight. Inside the building there was mold and water damage on the ceiling, it smelled musty and old. I just wanted to get to the back as fast as I could.

I didn't think my street-cred was good enough to get me to the back. That meant I could only sneak into the back. I slowly made my way around the counter, towards the door.

I breathed I sigh of relief as soon as I got to the door. My relief was short lived though. When I stepped through the threshold, I was whisked up in the chanting voices, the huddle of people struggling to speak over everyone, as they placed bets among each other. It was ultimately overwhelming.

I just needed to find Thorn and out of here.

I heard the ringing noise signifying a match was over. At least I think. I didn't know much about this kind of stuff.

I slowly pushed and maneuvered myself through the crowd to get as close to the ring as possible. God, I hoped this worked.

I watched as they drug a beaten and bloody pile out of the ring. One guy in the middle of the ring held up another guy's hand. He was wearing a black mask that covered his entire face except for his eyes. That was who I assumed to be the winner.

"Our winner for tonight bash-down: Thorn!" The man in the ring raised the hand even higher. For once the universe thought it well to not give me the worst luck ever.

He started to walk out of the ring passing a guy, who not so stealthily handed him some money.

I hadn't thought this through at all. There were so many different scenarios that could play out. What was I supposed to do? What if he decided I wasn't worth it and did to me what he did to that guy in the ring?

I couldn't stand it. Being so indecisive. I needed to make up my mind, and fast. This might be the only chance I ever get to have any hope in getting away from my stepfather. I couldn't do this on my own. I needed someone to help me.

I made up my mind.

I pushed and shoved my way through the crowd; dodging fist pumps over tonight's victory. I slowly but surely pushed through the tightly woven, excited crowd, until I got to the other side of the ring.

Thorn was there signing anything people handed him. Napkins, T-shirts, anything. This was way more popular than I expected.

I couldn't ask him here,  not where there were so many people. I stood there awkwardly until he started to move away from the crowd and towards the door. I followed.

I got ahead of him when I realized he was going out of the same door I came in. I got ahead of the crowd and walked out the door. The man that was behind the counter earlier was nowhere in sight.

I walked out into the street and waited for him. After a few minutes he walked outside.

Well crap.

What do I do now? I hadn't planned this far ahead.

I didn't want to jump out and get myself killed, but I had to get his attention somehow.  I slowly stepped out around the corner.

"Hello? Sir, can I speak with you?" I said quietly. He flinched and turned his head. "No," he turned his head back.

"Sir I need to speak with you." He flinched again, almost as if something I had said bothered him. "I said no," he replied quickly, while walking away.

"I need help! I need you to teach me how to fight! I can't get out of this myself." I pleaded. He started walking faster.

In that moment I felt so weak. So insecure. I had been stuck in this position for years. Years. Years I have been tortured everyday by my stepfather, who's name brought me so much anger I refused to even say it. I felt so helpless.

In that moment I began to cry for the first time in years. I hated myself for crying.  For showing weakness.

I was cut off from my thoughts by Thorn saying, "Why do you need help? With fighting no less. You seem capable enough." His voice sounded oddly familiar.

"I have my reasons." I replied.

"That isn't good enough." He walked away again.

"Wait." I sighed. "My stepfather. He hits me, and I need to kill him."

He stopped walking again. "If you Think you can kill someone, just slit his throat in his sleep."

"It's not that easy. He has connections, friends. People in gangs. If it looks like I did it, I'm already dead." I defended myself.

"Why would you want me to help you?" He inquired. " I have no one else." I said.

I wiped away another tear. Stupid tears. Just go away already!

"Tomorrow at 6 P.M. Here, in the back. That work for you?" He said.

My heart lifted. He just said yes. My problems were far from solved, but this made me feel one step closer.

"Yes." I breathed out a sigh of relief.

"Good."

He walked away into the alley. Maybe, just maybe with a fraction of a chance and Thorn's help, I could live.