part fifty-seven: beating heart

Start from the beginning

After everything was looking nice once again, Earth sat on the floor next to the sofa, his fingers running gently through Mix's hair. "Mix, angel, you can wake up. Please, wake up, you are making me worried."

Earth was really starting to consider different ways how to take Mix down to the town for a doctor to see him when he caught a movement in the corner of his eye, followed by a faint mumbling. He immediately rosed to his knees, leaning closer to Mix. "Mix, can you hear me? Open your pretty eyes for me, please, Mix."

To Earth's relief, Mix's eyes slowly fluttered open, only now Earth caught the dark circles under them. "Thank God. How do you feel?" Earth whispered, somehow his voice refusing to get louder.

Mix was looking at him with so much disbelief it was breaking Earth inside.

"Why are you here?" Mix's voice broke.

"What?"

"You are gone. Why? Why are you trying to stop me from leaving? I can't stay here. I can't!" Mix shouted, tears rolling down his face.

Earth shook his head and wrapped his arms around shaking Mix, "I'm not gone. Do you hear me, Mix? I'm alive, and it's because of you. No one but you."

"Stop. Stop lying to me!" Mix pushed Earth away, causing Earth to fall back, almost hitting the table. "You are dead, really dead! You disappeared right from my arms—I saw it, I felt it!" Mix's voice was shaking so much, his sobs were making it hard for him to breathe.

Earth stood up, quickly without any warning and took Mix's hand, pressing it on his chest, right where his heart was beating in a fast and stable rhythm, pumping blood through his veins, doing what it was supposed to do. "Can you feel it, Mix? Tell me, can a dead person have a beating heart?"

Mix was looking at his palm on Earth's chest, Earth's fingers firmly yet gently wrapped around his wrist, and Earth's chest which was in a slow steady rhythm moving up and down. Earth was breathing—that was the first realization that hit Mix. He closed his crying eyes, focusing his all on Earth's heart.

There, under his palm, Mix could feel it, Earth's heart—its fast and strong beating, confirming Earth's words. Mix chocked out another sob, looking up at Earth, "are you really here? Are you real?"

"I was never more real than I'm now," Earth gave Mix a soft smile, hoping that Mix was starting to understand their situation.

"Never more real than now?" Mix repeated with so much hope in his voice that Earth almost started crying too. But he couldn't. He didn't want to disturb Mix even more. So instead he only nodded.

"You are alive?"

"Yes."

"It worked?"

"Yes, it worked angel. Now, please stop crying. It hurts, seeing you like that," Earth pulled Mix towards himself, swaying their bodies in a soothing way, drinking in the sweet peachy scent of his love.

"I can't believe you are here," Mix sniffed, boring his head even deeper to Earth's neck. "You disappeared right from my arms. You left me; I couldn't save you."

"You did. You did save me. I'm here because of you," Earth held Mix's head in his palms, making Mix look up at him. "I'm back and I'm never leaving you again, I promise."

"I'll kill you, myself if you break this promise, Pirapat!" Mix said with a pout, the tears were starting to dry on his face.

"Noted," Earth chuckled, and pressed a long kiss on Mix's forehead, hugging him tightly.

When Earth's lips left Mix's forehead, they were pressed firmly to each other as Earth was scanning Mix's red face. "I think you have a fever."

Mix frowned, clutching onto Earth's sweater, "it's nothing. I'm more than fine now when you are here. I promise."