Part three: ghost cabin

"Still round the corner, there may wait, a new road or a secret gate."

- J. R. R. Tolkien

A week later

A week later

Somewhere in the middle of the Canadian wilderness.

Mix stepped out of the navy green 4x4 Jeep of the local sheriff taking in all the gorgeous scenery of the nature around the cabin.

His new home.

Mix never saw this place before, not even in the photograph. After he decided to take on his granny's wish to come live here, he had imagined this place many times, but never like this. This was a hundred times better than his imagination.

The forest was mostly evergreen trees, but there were a few oaks and maple trees in front of the cabin—especially near the big sky-like lake. Its water was sparkling under the last ray of sun for the day, mirroring in itself the mountain in fairly close proximity to the cabin, with a white cover on its peak. The snow was already present...

Mix subconsciously gasped at the sight. The snow indeed comes to Canada early! He just hoped that his twelve woollen sweaters, four black turtlenecks and a few cozy jumpers, plus two winter jackets will be enough to keep him warm. Totally not the wardrobe he needed in Thailand. It felt exciting to try new things to jump into a new routine.

The leaves from some of the trees already changed their colours to vivid orange, earthy brown, sunny yellow and even old red. The wind lightly tickled the air around them, making one earthy brown leaf let go of the Maple tree, slowly gliding down onto the surface of the lake—creating on it almost unnoticeable disruption.

Mix was watching the leaf falling down, unable to look away. The small act of nature seemed so ordinary, yet so special to Mix. Up there in the wild nature, everything felt more real, more raw, more natural. Everything felt slower, calming. Everything felt connected to one another. Like the tree and the lake. The tree was receiving its water from the lake and the lake was getting decorated with its leaves during the special days of autumn. They were connected with each other—they belonged to each other in their own special way. Maybe this was the reason why Mix couldn't look away, because he also wished to be connected to someone, to belong to someone...someone who would truly value him.

"Welcome to the Ghost Cabin," sheriff LeBlanc said, taking out Mix's luggage from the trunck.

Mix finally took his eyes away from the breathtaking view and with a very confused expression focused on the sheriff, "Ghost Cabin?"

Sheriff LeBlanc furrowed his eyebrows, "yeah, that's how Ms Praewa called this place. You didn't know?"

Mix shook his head, an inexplainable coldness suddenly ran through him, "No. Do you, hmmm...do you perhaps know why she called it like that?"