Chapter 3

(Leorio's POV)

I wake up to a bright ray of sunshine and birds chirping, but Kurapika is nowhere to be seen. I walk out of my room and yell out his name, wondering if he is in the kitchen or living room. I come to the sad conclusion that he has left. No note, no text, no nothing. Why does he do this? Especially after what I said and what we did. I pick up my phone and punch the numbers into my screen.

Ring, ring, ring, ring....

Kurapika's voice says "This is Kurapika, you have reached my voicemail. I probably won't respond so don't call back. Bye."
"Damn it." I say, disappointed.

Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I put my lab coat on and walk out the door. I can't help but reminisce over last night. We had such a good time and he just left. Damn him. Damn it all. Did he even mean what he said?

I drown myself in work to stay focused on achieving my main goal, becoming a doctor so I can save lives. I work overtime and spend late nights studying for exams. In just 2 more years, I will be what I've longed to be for years. Ever since my dear friend, Pietro died. I remember holding him in my arms as he drew his last breath. My tears stained my cheeks and his clothes. I find tears welling in my eyes as I reminisce and quickly wipe them.

I walk into room 107 in the children's ward to greet my first patient as a medical assistant.

"Hey, kiddo. I'm Dr. Paradinight, but you can call me Dr. P." I say with a smile.
He turns over and I find that he looks similar to Pietro.
"I'm Eijiro!" He says with a grin spreading from ear to ear.
"Do you know why you're here?"
"He has stage 3 cirrhosis. He's struggled with it for the past year and he is on the donor list, but the wait time is 7 months to a year and.."
Her voice goes down to a whisper as she says "We don't know if we have that time."
"I understand, ma'am. I'll talk to the doctor about bumping you up on the list."
"Dr. P? Do you have the channel with Sazae-san?" Eijiro asks.
"Let me see." I say as I take the remote.
"There we go."
"Thank you!"
"Anytime, kiddo."

I walk past the room and towards the doctor.

"Dr. Bokuro, about Eijiro Togata. He has stage 3 cirrhosis and it's bound to develop into stage 4 cirrhosis. It's going to become fatal if we don't give him a liver soon."
"Unless he has a life-threatening emergency, we can't give him a liver any sooner, I'm sorry."
"That makes no sense. He's about to!"
I calm myself down and clear my throat.
"Sir. It is vital we at least bump Pie- Eijiro a few spots up."
"I'll see what I can do, but don't count on it."
"Thank you, sir."

The days begin to blend not each other and I struggle to find something of more interest to take up my time.  I tried bonsai, but I ended up making the tress look worse than they did before. I also tried writing, but I got a writing block after 6 chapters. I thought about texting Kurapika when I remembered how he mentioned my texts cheered him up. I went to grab my phone, but I realized that I should be treating him the way he treats me. I deleted our thread of texts and changed his contact from "Sunshine <3" to "Kurapika"

(Wow Leorio, SO edgy 😎)

I started on my study guide module and woke up to a cold cup of coffee, papers scrawled everywhere, and notes tucked in between the pages of my textbook. I felt tired, but felt a quick jolt of energy when I realize I should've been at my college building 5 minutes ago. Why didn't my alarm go off? I run to the bathroom and fix my hair and put on my jacket and tie. I drive to the lab and run through the doors. My professor greets me with,
"You look like shit."
"I'm sorry, sir. I fell asleep late and my alarm never went off."
"Get a cup of coffee and take a seat. We haven't started yet, I've just been answering questions."

I grab a cup of coffee and sit down in the middle row next to a girl I've never seen before. Her hair fell down to her shoulders and it was a reddish-brown color. She wore large circle glasses and red dangly earrings that reminded me of Kurapika.